Summer Night Lights
Los Angeles, CA
City of Los Angeles Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction and Youth Development
Summer Night Lights Sports Program 2018
SNL Zumba/Fitness - Dance Instructor Position
SNL PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The Mayor’s Office of Gang Reduction and Youth Development (GRYD) was established in 2007 with the primary goal of establishing data-driven gang prevention and intervention programs in the City’s most gang-impacted communities. Summer Night Lights (SNL), a component of the GRYD strategy was piloted during the summer of 2008 as a response to research that point to youth being most likely to commit violent crimes during the summer months in the City of Los Angeles. Now in its 10th consecutive summer, the SNL program is implemented in 32 parks across the city with the goal of reducing gang related violence in and around SNL sites & providing community engagement and employment opportunities for youth as well as adults.
ZUMBA/FITNESS - DANCE POSITION OVERVIEW
Our focus within this position will be creating an open space for local community members to gain access to diverse methods of exercizing and/or dance. Through this open space, our goal will be to promote intercultural dialogue through healthy living practices as a means for strengthening communities and enriching lives. Zumbathon/Hip-Hopathon/Dance-athon
PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT
❖ 6/26/18 – 8/4/18
● Days: Wednesdays – Saturdays: 7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
● Total Hours Per Week: 12
❖ 8/10/18– 8/25/18
● Days: Fridays and Saturdays: 7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
● Total Hours Per Week: 6
(Candidates will be notified of any modifications to employment period and orientation)
All selected SNL Zumba/Fitness - Dance Instructors must attend a mandatory orientation on 6/2/2018 (location/time TBD) that includes an overview of SNL’s mission, program logistics, weekly tasks, payroll, budget review, lesson plans and team-building exercises.
SNL 2018 SITE STRUCTURE
Zumba/Fitness - Dance Instructors will be placed at assigned SNL sites, where they will conduct workshops /classes between the hours of 8:00 p.m.- 10:00 p.m. Instructors will also be required to conduct outreach within the SNL site premises a half-hour prior to conducting workshops (7:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.) and clean up a half-hour after the workshop concludes (10:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.). A total of 16 instructors will be hired to provide 2-4 night weekly programming at 2 SNL Sites.
● $30 /hour
( Availability of position is contingent upon funding. Health benefits and mileage reimbursement are not available.)
Separate budget to be allotted to cover costs associated with workshop materials & artist supplies.
● Develop and implement a workshop /class series tailored around healthy living practices and unifying themes in black/brown cultures, and engagement of community members across the family life cycle.
● Development of lesson plans for each workshop, including a culminating Event (Zumbathon/ Master Class/ Hip-Hopathon/Dance-athon), a budget for supplies and an outreach plan.
● Communicate with GRYD SNL staff via email, cell phone, and submitting weekly reports.
● Maintain constant communication with Sports Program Coordinator, and SNL site staff regarding programming, special events, and areas/challenges that require follow up. Maintain working relationships with site team and SNL Partners (i.e. Recreation and Parks, LAPD, Community Intervention Workers).
● Commitment to work with diverse populations and participants along the family life cycle (children to elders).
● Maintain detailed accounting records of supplies purchased and follow invoice protocols for payment.
● Bachelor’s degree and/or minimum of 2 years of instruction experience, in their respective field (Zumba/Dance/Fitness).
● Dedication to making workshops /classes accessible and meaningful to each participant.
● Excellent group management and facilitation skills.
● Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of learners of all ability levels.
● Experience in curriculum development and implementation with a focus on urban and family engagement.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Experience in creation and management of program budget.
● Demonstrate an understanding of technology and its integration as it relates to your field.
● Reliable transportation (travel to multiple SNL sites is required).
● Bilingual preferred (not required); at a minimum, the ability to understand and to make oneself understood to Spanish speaking individuals.
● Computer Skills: Microsoft Word & Excel, Google Documents, E-mail, social media platforms.
● Live Scan Background Check: All applicants will be required to complete and pass a live scan screening prior to receiving an official employment offer, as well as undergo a TB screening.
● BTRC Requirement: All applicants will be required to attain a Business Tax Registration Certificate (BTRC) through the Los Angeles County Office of Finance. For more information regarding the BTRC and how to attain it, visit the following link: http://business.lacity.org/start/BTRC
APPLICATION SUBMISSION PROCESS & DEADLINE
To apply for the SNL Artist positions, please complete the 2017 SNL Artist Employment Application by Friday, May 15th 2018 5:00 PM (PST) . Online applications can be found via the following link: http://www.grydfoundation.org/snl-hiring
APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Only selected applicants will be scheduled for an interview. Applications will be accepted until the needs of the program are met, and the office reserves the right to close or modify application deadlines as needed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (EOE)
The GRYD Office is an EOE employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services, and is an equal access/equal opportunity employer.
If you have any questions about the positions, please contact the SNL Sports Program Coordinator at [email protected].