Invert/ED at Invertigo Dance Theatre
Los Angeles, CA
Invert/ED is the dance education program of Invertigo Dance Theatre. We emphasize creative ownership and interdisciplinary learning. Classes develop teamwork, innovative thinking, physical awareness, and creativity. We offer classes, performance-workshops, residencies, and community-building events for a range of ages, from elementary to high school, and abilities. Invertigo is currently seeking teaching artists for school day (8am - 3pm) and after school (3pm - 6pm) programs for the 2018/19 school year. Artists typically teach 2 to 8 hours a week for 8 to 10 weeks at a time.
Position Responsibilities (included but not limited to):
- Teach movement classes or workshops that include improvisation, technique, teamwork, partnering and storytelling while building class community.
- Develop appropriate curriculum and lesson plans, including for mixed-level and mixed-age classes
- Track participant attendance.
- Develop a final performance for long-term residencies. This may include helping students create work or setting choreography for the students.
- Collaborate with Invertigo Admin to steward community and school partnerships and execute special projects.
- Travel to location for classes (DTLA, Culver City, West Side, Valley, etc)
- 3+ years of teaching experience in movement/dance
- Currently works as or has recently worked as a professional dancer
- BFA, BA or Advanced Degree in related field (dance, theatre, education, etc.)
- Ability to design curricula for different age groups and abilities
- Ability to differentiate instruction for diverse populations
- Interest in teaching the creative process, improvisation and technique
- Experience working with special needs populations is a plus
- Experience working with State Curriculum Standards is a plus
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred
- Valid driver's license and vehicle
- Willing to submit background check, fingerprints, and TB test results for schools
Teaching Artist is paid hourly for classes, planning time, and meetings. This is a part-time employee position, schedule/hours may vary and depends on program schedule and needs.
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]. In cover letter, please include a brief overview of your dance and teaching experience, populations you have worked with, and your daily availability starting January 2019.
Invertigo Dance Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees.