Los Angeles, CA
Located on Los Angeles’ historic Miracle Mile since 1965, the Craft & Folk Art Museum is now Craft Contemporary. Craft Contemporary reveals the potential of craft to educate, captivate, provoke, and empower. With a focus on contemporary art made from craft media and processes, Craft Contemporary presents dynamic exhibitions by established and emerging artists and designers who are often underrepresented in larger art institutions. Through a robust roster of regular programs and events, Craft Contemporary offers creative opportunities for the public to participate in hands-on workshops led by professional artists.
The Development Manager is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Executive Director and collaborates with multiple sectors, including communications, museum shop and the board of trustees. Under moderate supervision, this one-person department position co-creates the museum’s development strategies and encompasses major responsibility for managing logistics related to donor management. A successful candidate demonstrates vision, enthusiasm and passion, while attending to the daily, organizational details critical to success. A desire to work in a robust, small organization, with an understanding of its opportunities and limitations is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Membership and Individual Donors
- Plan and oversee all initiatives – from conception of strategies through implementation—for the cultivation, acquisition, renewal, upgrade and stewardship of members and donors
- Research prospective donors
- Oversee and manage a personal portfolio of at least 20 individual donors or prospects, actively building these relationships through regular meetings, phone calls, emails, and other communications, tracking all efforts, and regularly reporting on outcomes.
- Prepare routine correspondence with members and donors including gift acknowledgement and fulfillment of membership benefits
- Manage CRM database, including maintenance of data integrity, developing standards for data-entry and enhancing database functionality. Reconcile all gift entries with accounting system on a regular basis
- Coordinate the fulfillment of donor benefits
- Manage year end giving appeal including drafting letter, building mailing list and tracking and reporting on results
- Provide leadership to the Board: attend meetings, steward assigned trustees, staff Committees
- Track all Board fundraising efforts and activities
- In collaboration with the Board of Trustees, oversee the production of Craft Contemporary’s annual Craft Affair, including catering, data management and gift processing, mailings, response tracking, and production of printed materials, volunteer coordination, and event logistics
- Develop other fundraising events in collaboration with the museum director and/or museum trustees.
- Conceive and oversee the implementation of member events including opening receptions
- Oversee and manage rental events
- Develop work plan detailing prospect meetings, proposal submissions required reports and additional donor communications with current and prospective corporate and foundation sources
- Write and edit proposals to corporations and foundations including collecting relevant information from the pertinent staff members
- Assemble materials for grant submissions and reporting
- Conduct research into prospective corporate and foundation donors
- Supervise development volunteers and/or Interns
- Minimum of one to three years of fundraising experience in a museum, non-profit arts organization or related non-profit
- BA or BFA in an art-related communications or management field
- Experience supervising volunteers and interns in delegating tasks
- Outgoing, upbeat and comfortable cultivating relationships
- Fluency in social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) and email marketing platforms such as Constant Contact or MailChimp
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Ability to manage and maintain email correspondence in timely manner
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including copyediting proficiency and communicating ideas to a group
- Highly proficient in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and CRM software--Bloomerang)
- Team-oriented and comfortable working in a small organization and shared office space, superior interpersonal skills
- Positive attitude and solution-oriented approach
- Demonstrate mature judgment, with a high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Receptive and able to incorporate feedback into work
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized
- Awareness of arts and culture in Los Angeles
- Ability to learn, understand, and apply new technologies and tools
- Ability to work weekends and evenings, as needed
Salary package includes medical, dental, and vision benefits after one-month period. The benefits package includes two weeks of paid vacation annually and paid major holidays. Please submit resume, cover letter salary requirements, and three arts-related writing samples (include donor communication if possible) to email@example.com. Please indicate “Development Manager” in subject line of email. No phone calls please.