Los Angeles, CA
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, help for English language learners, and assistance with student publications. All of our free programs are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in his or her individual voice.
826LA seeks a Development Manager committed to the growth and advancement of 826LA through fundraising of major and annual gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government sources. In collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, the Development Manager oversees all aspects of fundraising, marketing, and public relations to support a goal of $1.7M in FY2018.
- Develops and executes an annual and long-term fund development plan to meet organizational goals;
- Analyze results and effectiveness of development plan to develop results-driven strategy;
- Manages the day-to-day development, marketing, and communications operations, including oversight of Salesforce database, outreach, gift administration and processing, donor recognition, budgeting, and record keeping;
- Maintains accurate and complete records and files for assigned fundraising events, programs and activities and routinely reviews the status of each with the Executive Director;
- Cultivates and solicits new individual, corporate, and foundation supporters;
- Stewards individual, corporate, and foundation supporters at all levels of giving;
- Oversees the creation and management of fundraising events including peer-to-peer fundraisers, Partners in Time membership program, and Tell Me a Story;
- Participates in monthly 826 network development director and major gifts calls and annual professional development sessions;
- Coordinates the development and production of collateral materials related to fundraising events, programs and activities;
- Manages marketing and promotion for all fundraising initiatives;
- Supervises Development department staff to meet goals while fostering professional development;
- Support the Executive Director with Board engagement, including managing the Board Development Committee;
- Reports to the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate they have:
- Passion for 826LA’s mission and values;
- Extraordinary written and oral communication skills with the ability to connect a wide range of audiences with 826LA’s vision;
- At least 3-4 years of fundraising experience;
- Proven track record of researching, engaging, soliciting, and maintaining relationships with stakeholders;
- Ability to self-motivate, work independently, and lead a team;
- Enthusiastic and creative problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to successfully address challenges and make decisions in alignment with strategic organizational objectives;
- Proven organizational, prioritization, and project management skills;
- Experience with Salesforce a big plus;
- Spanish language skills preferred;
- A love of books, writing, and/or publishing.
This position is full time, and the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends is necessary. Benefits include three weeks vacation, participation in 826LA’s health and dental care plan, 401K, and life insurance plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
- A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA
- A detailed resume
- A list of three references.
Please include your name and "Development Manager" in the subject line.
Please note that only complete applications--with cover letter, resume, and references sent to jobs@826LA.org--will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.