Grand Vision Foundation
San Pedro, CA
Grand Vision Foundation is a non profit organization dedicated to bringing high quality arts events and educational experiences to the diverse Harbor Area community and beyond.
We put this commitment into action by producing a live music concert series at the Grand Annex, a 150-seat cabaret style listening room, and serving as the official City of LA Friends’ Group to the 1500-seat Warner Grand Theatre, a 1931 art deco movie palace. Our performing arts offerings arecomplemented by robust educational programs for local youth, schools and community through our Meet the Music program.
The Development Officer, Individual and Corporate Giving (DO) for the Grand Vision Foundation has a key role in maintaining and expanding the organization’s broad reach and reputation in the regional arts community. Together with the Executive Director and the GVF Board, the DO is primarily responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of the Grand Vision Foundation’s individual and corporate relationships. Overall fundraising activities currently include individual giving, membership drive, corporate sponsorship, foundation grants, special events, and a modest planned-giving program.
The successful applicant will have a passion for the performing arts and be both entrepreneurial and self-directed. This full-time position will develop and cultivate a portfolio of at least 50 additional prospects with the ability to give $5,000 or more in annual support.
Starting with Grand Vision’s existing donor and audience lists, the DO will be able to identify those prospects with the most potential for optimum giving — outright or planned and including multi-year commitments. This will require conceiving and implementing solicitation strategies for new and increased gifts as well as actively connecting prospects and donors with the programs and leadership of the Grand Vision Foundation. S/he will be responsible for making calls, attending functions, stewarding donors, and setting and achieving fundraising goals.
- Reports to: Executive Director, Grand Vision Foundation
- This is a full time, salaried, exempt position.
- The primary work location is Grand Vision Foundation, 434 W. 6th St., San Pedro, CA 90731.
- Position requires regular M-F office hours and will require some early morning, evenings and weekend availability. Hours will not be a traditional 9am-5pm day, and will vary.
- Work collaboratively with Grand Vision Foundation team and Board members to identify, evaluate, cultivate and solicit major and planned giving prospects.
- For the first three months, assist Executive Director in soliciting existing sponsors to annual gala. Make and close sponsorship requests independently in future years.
- Work resourcefully, understanding that GVF is a small organization with limited budget.
- Visit a minimum of 70 different donors per year to steward donors and close gifts.
- Work with small donors and members with potential to increase their annual donations.
- Attend a minimum of 80% of San Pedro and Wilmington Chamber of Commerce events and become involved in these organizations as an ambassador of Grand Vision.
- Join and attend professional groups and educational sessions as needed; stay current with trends in nonprofit development especially for a cultural and arts organization.
- Attend Grand Vision events as part of donor cultivation.
- Maintain detailed portfolio of donor communications and gifts.
- Manage a year-end giving direct mail campaign as well as implement direct mail and on-line promotions as needed.
- Implement a planned giving marketing plan to cultivate donors and prospects resulting in a pipeline of giving and planned giving prospects.
- Embrace other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or university required. Degree or credentials in non-profit development highly desirable.
- Demonstrated skills in handling significant levels of responsibility, initiating and managing projects, and working independently while also being a team player.
- At least 3-5 years of development experience with proven track record in closing gifts and meeting goals.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (particularly Word and Excel) and at least one form of contact management software.
- Demonstrated “people skills,” including building trust and rapport in business relationships with diverse individuals, and demonstrating listening skills, poise, tact, and good judgment as well aspersistence.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Positive, articulate, outgoing, and friendly personality; a sense of humor essential!
- Organizational skills - the ability to: identify critical issues and work towards results;remain calm and efficient in a busy work environment; and maintain a high level of attention to detail.
- Some knowledge of basic planned-giving vehicles and experience with implementation.
- Knowledge of the local funding community.
- Skills to maintain confidentiality as warranted.
- Highly desirable to be a member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
Willing and able to lift up to 25 lbs.
$60,000+ depending on qualifications.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. To apply, please submit the following three elements:
- a cover letter explaining how you meet or exceed the position requirements described in this posting,
- chronological resume, and
- salary expectations.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put in subject line: GVF Development Officer Position
Or mail to:
Grand Vision Foundation, Attn: HR/Development Position, 434 W. 6th Street, San Pedro, CA 90731
Please, no walk-ins or phone calls.