Los Angeles, CA
Fathomers is a recently re-launched and re-branded 501(c)3 with a 20-year history of supporting groundbreaking contemporary art projects. Generously funded by a single donor to this point, we now aim to expand and diversify our contributed income stream in order to bolster and scale programs, exhibitions, operations and special projects. To this end, we seek a highly motivated and experienced fundraising professional to join our dynamic team as a Development Specialist.
The position offers an opportunity to author an innovative development program designed to enact long-term sustainability and maximum annual growth. The successful candidate will work closely with the Executive Director and Board to identify and implement strategies for securing high-level support, in the forms of both financial and intellectual capital, particularly from donors, foundations and corporations committed to creative, scientific and technological advancement.
- Define and lead a robust fundraising strategy. Initiate, cultivate and steward relationships with key figures in the arts, the sciences, technology and other fields. Develop individual giving campaigns and personally solicit major donors with capacity for restricted and unrestricted gifts of $10,000+.
- Develop and manage a pipeline of 200-250 prospects and donors. Collaborate with ED and Board to identify and cultivate 40-60 key figures from the pipeline to be invited to join Fathomers’ highest donor circle, the League. Strategically enlist Board and principal staff in prospect identification and donor stewardship when appropriate.
- Collaborate with principal staff to develop and execute the League Convening, a multi-day private retreat/conference with presentations from key thinkers in a range of fields. Plan and attend all additional fundraising activities and donor events.
- Research foundation and corporate prospects. Project and maintain an institutional giving calendar, and guide the preparation of compelling proposals and requests. Generate all required reports.
- Oversee the production of individual gift documentation. Maintain accurate and complete records of donor contacts and correspondence in database, and work with staff to ensure donor acknowledgement and distribution of receipts.
- Collaborate with the Director of Research and Communication and other staff to produce collateral development-related materials when appropriate. Prepare and present development-related planning and reporting materials for principal staff and Board.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree a plus.
- 7+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience, preferably related to the arts.
- Self-motivated strategic thinker with demonstrable experience in cultivating and maintaining relationships with high-level philanthropists and donors in and around Los Angeles County.
- Proven track record of securing gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Superior written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a team environment with a positive attitude.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, ethical decision-making and reliable discretion.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and fundraising software.
- Availability for regional travel, and occasional national or international travel if necessary.
Part-time or full-time. Terms are negotiable and can be tailored to the successful candidate’s strengths and interests. Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package offered.
To apply, please send letter of interest and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted electronically only and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Fathomers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status, status as a whistleblower, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.