New Music USA
New York or Remote
New Music USA is seeking a collaborative, creative, and organized Digital Associate to assist New Music USA’s communications, development, and grants teams. The ideal candidate is passionate about New Music USA’s mission and the opportunity to play an important role as a part of a small team, supporting the organization’s program activity, resource sharing, and community engagement.
Job Title: Digital Associate
Classification: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Communications
Salary: $50k plus generous benefits package including 100% employer paid health insurance monthly premium and deductible coverage.
Location: New Music USA’s office is located in NYC but this position can be remote. For those outside of the NYC area, some travel to NYC may be required. If NYC-based, hybrid office-home working is expected. Core working hours are 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM ET.
Deadline: August 11, 2021 at 5:00 PM ET
About New Music USA
New Music USA is a national resource for the new music community. We empower and connect US-based music makers, organizations, and audiences by providing financial support, building community and advocating for the field. Working in collaboration with the music community, New Music USA responds to evolving needs and amplifies the diverse voices of music creators. We envision a thriving and equitable ecosystem for new music throughout the United States.
The budget to support our activities is approximately $2.5 million dollars per year. Revenue includes earnings from endowment, institutional grants (government, foundations, and corporations), and individuals. We maintain cash reserves and an endowment with a corpus in excess of $15 million. Our staff consists of engaged, committed, and forward-thinking individuals working together in a highly collaborative environment. All of us have strong connections to the arts, many as active artists. We are thinkers and hard workers who have fun doing what we do. We are committed to being part of a culture that supports imagination, connectivity, trust, inclusivity, and empowerment.
New Music USA, an equal opportunity employer, seeks to diversify its staff and strongly encourages people of color to apply. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
About the Digital Associate Position
The Digital Associate will be a core support member of the communications team and will collaborate with the development and grants teams to assist with collecting, creating and sharing content that promotes the work of New Music USA and its music communities. This role will report to the Communications Director, and work closely with the Communications Manager. The post-holder will help gather and maintain resources from grantees, update website content, create and share digital content, help implement New Music USA’s social media strategy, and help foster an engaged online community by responding to, sharing, and amplifying all voices that contribute to an equitable ecosystem for new music in the U.S.
Digital Associate Job Responsibilities:
Digital Content and Communications
- Stay current with digital and social media trends and work with the Communications Director to innovate and transform New Music USA’s digital storytelling through media, video, and sound
- Create and edit digital marketing materials that align with the organization’s brand strategy, for internal and external audiences (e.g. webinar backgrounds, assets for social media & events)
- Support website maintenance, including updating grantee and program content regularly, maintaining the events calendar, helping with ongoing testing and content migration
- Maintain an organized and up-to-date digital asset library
- Assist the grants & communications staff with collecting content from the grantee community for the website and social media posts, and creating social media highlights (graphics, copy, and media clips) for grantees across all our programs
- Help monitor social media channels and streams (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Soundcloud, LinkedIn, etc.) in alignment with brand and social media strategy and in alignment with creating a consistent & engaging voice for New Music USA
- Help engage with and extend our community, following appropriate accounts and hashtags, immersing us in conversations about new music with practitioners of all backgrounds across the US. Share and respond to chatter, and post content elevating members of our community, with a focus on inclusion and equity
- Help create, curate, schedule, and execute short-term and long-term social media campaigns in support of New Music USA activity, such as funded projects and programs, NewMusicBox articles and podcasts, events, community resources, advocacy, fundraising, the 10th Anniversary campaign, calls for submission, music playlists, etc.
- Support the distribution of NewMusicBox content and other online resources
- Help with updates and improvement of photos/grantee/events content as needed
- Help shoot nonprofessional video and photos of events, and create/edit short promo videos
- Provide creative insights and technical support for online events and webinars where needed
- Assist with digital communications surrounding specific fundraising/program campaigns and our regular annual fund
- Assist with researching and soliciting new advertisers for the website
- Support organizational internal data management across all departments
- Provide support for special initiatives and partnerships as needed
- Support job recruitment by posting job opportunities online and on social media
- Perform other duties as assigned to support organizational development of New Music USA
Required Skills and Experience:
- College degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 1+ year of graphic design experience creating branded digital and print marketing materials
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Fluency with website CMS platforms (WordPress preferred) and social media platforms
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency with Canva
- Ability to shoot and edit photos and video
- Familiarity with Salesforce or similar CRM platforms
- Ability to edit podcast audio
- Knowledge of data analytics tools, such as Google Analytics and Google AdWords
- Tech-savvy with strong written and oral communication skills
- A keen eye for visuals; excellent web and graphic design skills
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated, able to work and prioritize independently
- Collaborative and excited to play an important role on a small team
- Creative, resourceful, flexible
- Able to research and analyze information and data
- Enthusiastic about digital community-building and engagement
- Interested in multi-media storytelling and digital marketing
- Committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Good listener, comfortable asking questions
- Passionate about music and New Music USA’s mission
How to Apply:
Please email a personalized cover letter and resume in PDF form to [email protected] with “Your Name_Digital Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, tell us:
1. Why you are interested in this role at New Music USA
2. How your experience and skills meet the job specification outlined above
3. Where you heard about this role
Please include 3 references with your application, including one person who has supervised you in a previous role. Applications without a personalized cover letter and references will not be considered. All applications and expressions of interest will be held in the strictest of confidence. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.