David Kordansky Gallery
Los Angeles, CA
Monday – Friday (Full-time, hourly non-exempt)
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
The Digital Marketing Associate is a critical, cross-departmental role at the gallery, responsible for creating, optimizing, and implementing digital and social media strategies to achieve the gallery’s goals of expanding its social media following; increasing engagement rates; driving the performance of paid social campaigns; presenting the work of its artists with passion, care, and precision; and creating engaging experiences that connect audiences to the artists’ work.
ABOUT THE GALLERY:
David Kordansky Gallery is one of the most dynamic venues for contemporary art in Los Angeles and is internationally regarded as a leading gallery of its generation. Established in 2003, the exhibition program is dedicated to presenting artists’ work with passion and intellectual rigor, and to bringing the utmost care and precision to showcasing artistic visions. The Gallery is committed to presentations that blend scholarship and connoisseurship with equity and inclusion. We are an institution rooted in our hometown of Los Angeles, and in California, even as we embrace cultural activity as a fully global phenomenon.
Maintaining a culture of belonging is important to us—we strive for a workplace where every single team member feels valued, supported, and heard. We believe in the power of creativity and seek opportunities for connection, collaboration, and learning between cultures and communities. We are committed to championing policies and practices that promote diversity, foster cultural equity, and sustain an environment of inclusivity. The Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit, qualifications, and abilities. The Gallery does not discriminate, and does not permit discrimination against its employees, interns, volunteers, or applicants. We recognize our strengths lie in the broad range of individuals who contribute their time and talents to our mission, and we pledge to create a safe, accessible, and inclusive place to work.
The Gallery’s consistent growth, developed in tandem with its artists’ ambitions, occurs through the unique participation and contribution of each employee. We look for colleagues who are the most driven, the most talented, and the most creative. Every member of the Gallery’s team should aim for excellence and ingenuity, surpassing challenges and discovering new possibilities together. We value long-term commitment and loyalty, and in turn provide avenues for career advancement across all departments.
Social Media and Content Creation:
- Social Media Strategy: Develop and implement innovative Instagram and WeChat strategies to achieve the gallery’s goals; build awareness for the gallery and its artists with US, European, and Asian audiences; and ultimately, increase the gallery’s following and engagement rate
- Content and Creative: Create compelling social media content with an impact that engages and educates the gallery’s audience; work closely with key internal and external stakeholders; write all social media copy; ensure posts are 100% error-free; and manage the social media content calendar
- Paid Social: Plan and manage a paid social media budget, optimizing campaign performance metrics
- Community Engagement: Engage with the gallery’s community, monitoring and responding to comments, direct messages, and mentions to positively impact brand reputation, foster engagement; respond to questions and inquiries in a timely manner
- Performance Reporting: Manage social media KPIs (organic and paid) and be prepared to pivot strategy quickly based on new findings and data trends; produce monthly recaps, summarizing highlights/insights and ways to optimize
- Stay up to date on new social media tools and best practices, identifying ways for the gallery to be at the forefront of social media trends
- Email Strategy: Create and manage transactional/triggered email campaigns (such as a welcome series, re-engagement campaign, etc.); develop email subscriber acquisition campaigns
- Content and Creative: Manage the gallery’s email marketing calendar; design, test, and schedule emails, collaborating with the Communications, Media, and Artist Liaison teams to produce email newsletters
- Performance & Reporting: Optimize email performance via A/B and split tests; analyze email marketing KPIs to better understand the gallery’s email subscribers and improve performance metrics
Digital Marketing & Website Management:
- SEO/SEM: Create and implement SEO/SEM strategies for the gallery’s website and e-commerce site
- Website Management: Collaborate with the Media and Archive teams in maintaining the gallery’s website and e-commerce site, such as creating new artist pages, designing web assets, and updating webpages; collaborate with Archivist in updating and maintaining the gallery’s Shopify site
- Website Analytics & Reporting: Define website KPIs that map to the gallery’s digital objectives; track website analytics (such as online user behavior, acquisition, conversion, etc.) for both the gallery’s main website and its Shopify site and identify ways to optimize sales
Our ideal candidate is highly detail-oriented and creative with exceptional organizational skills; an excellent verbal and written communicator; and possesses the ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. We seek candidates who are extremely self-motivated, responsible, and efficient, and who hold a sincere appreciation for and experience with navigating diverse cultural spaces. In addition:
- Previous experience working in an art gallery, art museum, or other type of museum and/or knowledge of contemporary art strongly preferred
- At least three (3) years of experience in social media and digital marketing preferred, including demonstrable experience leading and managing paid campaigns on Facebook and Instagram; five (5) years welcomed
- BA in a related field preferred, but consideration is given to candidates with related education and experience
- Demonstrated experience in planning, developing and producing high quality content including: Instagram posts, email newsletters, digital ads, photo and video assets, and web assets
- Demonstrated success in identifying target audiences and devising social media content and campaigns that engage, educate, and inspire
- Sophisticated visual and writing aesthetic appropriate to a high-profile art gallery setting
- Ability to take a creative yet results-oriented approach to producing social media content
- Experience with WeChat strongly preferred; experience with YouTube, Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, and/or display or programmatic advertising a plus
- Experience with Shopify strongly preferred
- Experience with email marketing, lead generation, and SEO/SEM
- Experience with A/B and multivariate testing
- Proficiency in using email marketing platforms such as Campaign Monitor
- Proficiency with Facebook Ads Manager, Power Editor, Google Analytics, and Google Tag Manager
- Solid understanding of performance marketing, conversion, and online customer acquisition
- Strong analytic and reporting skills with ability to identify opportunities and make recommendations for optimization
- Exceptional attention to detail with proven ability to effectively manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, creatively troubleshoot, work independently and effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills, including strong ability to communicate complex topics in a simple and factual way
- Strong copy editing and proofreading skills with knowledge of AP and/or Chicago Manual of Style
- Skills in a Mac-based environment required, including: Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Sheets) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Skills in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator, etc.) preferred
- Experience using project management software such as Asana or Basecamp preferred
- Basic knowledge of databases such as ArtBase / FileMaker (or similar) preferred
- Fluency in multiple languages welcomed
- BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- This is a full-time hourly position (overtime eligible) at 40 hours per week.
- The pay scale for this position is $26 – $36 per hour.
Benefits for full-time employees, following a waiting period, include:
- Premium PPO medical insurance (fully subsidized, no cost to employee)
- Vision insurance (fully subsidized, no cost to employee)
- Dental and long-term disability insurance
- Paid personal and vacation days (starting at 13 days annually)
- Paid sick time (6 days annually)
- Paid holidays and floating holidays (10 days annually)
- Paid gallery closures (typically 8-10 days annually)
- Paid family leave
- Participation in a 401k retirement plan (with employer contribution)
- This position is located in Los Angeles, CA.
- The gallery greatly values the health & safety of its employees, and is following all city, county, and state COVID-19 guidelines for businesses.
- During the pandemic, approximately 80% of the work required of this position can be completed remotely, with weekly in-person visits required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit the following via email with the subject line “Digital Marketing Associate” to [email protected]:
- a cover letter detailing your previous experience
- a complete CV
- a 150-200-word writing sample about a David Kordansky Gallery artist, art fair presentation, or exhibition (in the style of an email newsletter announcement)
- a sample Instagram post based on a David Kordansky Gallery artist or exhibition
In your application, please note all relevant skills requested in the qualifications above.
BIPOC and LGTBQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with most, if not all, of the requested qualifications are invited to apply. Submissions including the above items will be prioritized. No phone or walk-in inquiries, please.