City Hearts: Kids Say Yes to the Arts
Los Angeles, CA
City Hearts: Kids Say Yes to the Arts
Director of Development
City Hearts: Kids Say Yes to the Arts (www.cityhearts.org) is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization committed to providing equal access to the Arts to the most-at-risk children and teens in economically stressed neighborhoods throughout Los Angeles County. For over 35 years, City Hearts has delivered award-winning in-school and after-school, literacy-based Arts programming in Visual Arts, Theater Arts, Shakespeare, Photography, Dance, and Music. Currently, the program serves nine school sites and one transitional housing center and reaches up to 400 underserved youth each week.
Position Description Summary
Based at City Hearts’ administrative office in Topanga Canyon, the Director of Development will be responsible for the strategic design, implementation and management of City Hearts annual fundraising plan, including acquiring funding from foundations, corporations, local businesses, governments, individuals; event sponsorships and donor acquisition activities; creating major gifts and planned giving programs; and maintaining relations with current funders and with community stakeholders including local, City and County officeholders and staff.
Along with the Executive Director, our staff includes a part-time Grant Writer, a Program and Administration Coordinator, and a Special Project Director. City Hearts contracts with numerous professional teaching artists who are in charge of school-site program implementation.
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Job Type: Exempt Position: 40-hour week or Part-time available for the right candidate
Contact: Sherry Jason, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Produce and implement development plans and budgets collaboratively with Executive Director
- Research, identify, secure funding and maintain relationships with existing and new corporate, public & private foundation and individual donors.
- Create, submit and track grants, proposals, letters of inquiry, funders’ reports and acknowledgement of donations, etc.
- Create and manage annual major gifts and estate planning campaigns.
- Assist in the creation and distribution of donor driven social media content including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, as well as Eblasts, Website updates, etc.
- Collaborate with staff and Board event committees on planning and successful implementation of major fundraising events, and acquisition of corporate and individual event sponsorships.
- Collaborate on the creation of marketing materials, development pieces.
- Develop relationships with local and regional officeholders, government staff, nonprofit agencies, associations, service organizations and other community stakeholders
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum 5 years’ progressively responsible and successful fund development experience working with nonprofits required - Preferred: familiarity with Arts education nonprofits for underserved youth in diverse communities and/or schools.
- A bachelor’s degree, ideally in Public Policy, Nonprofit Management, Arts Education (or in any Arts genre), or equivalent experience.
- Proven and measurable Fund Development Skills: Individual, corporate and foundation, events, public and private grant writing and grants management and reporting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work independently, as well as part of a team and work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to meet deadlines and multi-task and manage projects from start to finish
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Proficient MAC computer knowledge: MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Experience in the use of technology for accomplishing the organization’s goals: office systems, grants management and financial management and reporting programs, and at least 2 years’ quantifiable experience using Social Media platforms and the internet as a successful fundraising tool.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver's license, and ability to climb stairs and lift at least 25lbs.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION:
- Salary: Commensurate with experience.
- NO CALLS PLEASE