Los Angeles, CA
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
A prominent west coast theater, recognized nationally for its innovative programming and new work development, seeks to fill the position of Director of Development. With a focus on bold & diverse storytelling and producing shows that revel in our humanity, this has been one of the nation’s premiere professional theaters for over two decades.
This individual will oversee a department that encompasses endowment development, annual giving, planned giving, corporate sponsorships, stewardship, and major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations. The position requires a proven track record as a successful hands-on development officer who is skilled at closing gifts and taking the lead in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gift level individuals, corporations and foundations. This position supervises a staff of approx. 6.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director & provides comprehensive strategic direction for the overall development program for the theater. This includes general operating support, and special project support, and will be integral to the theater’s upcoming anniversary celebration and campaign initiatives.
- Responsible and accountable for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of an overall development program
- Provides impetus and support to the fundraising efforts of the Board, Executive Director and Artistic Director by executing all annual, sponsorship, capital, endowment, and planned giving programs, as well as fundraising and stewardship events
- Lead initiatives to achieve goals defined in the theater’s strategic plan, and further develop long-range audience development goals and strategies
- Participates in strategic planning, tracks progress of the strategic plan’s development goals and objectives, staffs the Development team, and attends and reports at board meetings
- Provides timely and accurate reports to the Executive Director, Artistic Director and Chief Financial Officer
- Develops & maintains planned giving donors
- Designs and implements strategies to achieve or to exceed annual fundraising goals
- Supervises the application, reporting and tracking processes for all grants
- Ensures proper record-keeping and stewardship of all gifts from individuals and institutions
- Develops and monitors budgets for all events and campaigns
- Works with Executive Director and CFO on future season budget goals and expectations
- Maintains a master calendar of fundraising events and campaigns
- Bachelor’s degree in arts administration, non-profit management, communication, or related field.
- Minimum seven to ten years of development and/or marketing experience in a management role.
- Proven track record of success at meeting and exceeding revenue goals.
- Proven successful interactions with Boards and a diverse array of community stakeholders.
- Excellent computer/technology skills, especially in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media platforms.
- Experience with Audience View a plus.
- Experience in an arts and/or arts education environment.
- Must have an entrepreneurial attitude with ability to be a self starter. Must have a spirit of curiosity and tenacity to “get the job done”.
- Must have excellent communication & presentation skills with ability to interface with people at all levels.
- In addition to the duties listed above, the theater expects the following of each employee: adhere to theater’s policies and procedures; work in a safe manner; perform duties as workload necessitates; maintain a positive and respectful attitude; communicate regularly with Executive Director about department issues; demonstrate efficient time management and prioritize workload; demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meet department productivity standards; participate in the theater’s events as needed or required; and complete other duties as assigned.
Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
Please attach a cover letter and resume detailing experience that meets above described duties along with three references with contact information. Please submit using the following Formstack link: https://westcoastdevelopment.formstack.com/forms/jobs
Please do not call or email to follow up. All submissions will be reviewed and responded to as promptly as possible under current circumstances. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The theater prides itself on fully representing and reflecting the community on stage and in our diverse workforce.