Los Angeles, CA
The Director of Education (DE) holds a dynamic position within 826LA, managing and leading all programs and providing direct supervision to the In-Center, In-Schools, and Volunteer Management teams.
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. The DE will balance both strategy and program management to continuously enhance program quality and consistency. The DE supervises and works closely with the program managers to ensure that programs are student-centric, achieving learning outcomes, and following the objectives set out on a program-by-program basis, by the Executive Director, and/or in the 826LA strategic plan. The DE champions the 826LA pedagogic model while identifying and implementing ways to improve it. The DE holds front and center 826LA’s relations with schools, and works with staff, the Executive Director, and LAUSD to to increase the value that 826LA brings to our school partners and the students we serve. The DE leverages their expertise in pedagogy—creative writing and writing across the curriculum—as well as experience working to address academic achievement gaps to maximize the impact of 826LA’s programs. The DE is a part of the 826LA senior management team, and reports to the Executive Director.
- Oversees a team of program staff and provides support, leadership, and direction for staff to create and fulfill long- and short-term goals consistent with the mission of 826LA and as articulated by the Executive Director, in the 826LA strategic plan;
- Oversees and supports the work of the program managers and staff in establishing impact outcomes for programs aligned with our qualitative and quantitative goals, and writing pedagogy as outlined in the
- Analytic Writing Continuum (AWC);
- Develops keen, hands-on experience in all administrative and program areas in order to better identify and implement improvements and efficiencies; embed with each program to develop first-hand programmatic expertise;
- Together with the Executive Director, the In-Schools Program Manager, and other key staff, identifies new possibilities for partnerships within LAUSD, including the addition of new Writers' Rooms and other programmatic innovations;
- Works with the Chief of Staff to ensure the collection and accuracy of all programmatic data for internal record keeping;
- Regularly monitors program delivery, curriculum, and learning outcomes to ensure high-quality program execution; reevaluates programs on a regular basis to forecast necessary modifications and improvements;
- Builds and sustains relationships with families, volunteers, community partners, educators, and schools, and manages partnerships and projects in accordance with our mission;
- Liaise with outside partnerships and potential projects for students, and manages each of those partnerships as needed;
- Hires, trains, evaluates performance, and facilitates on- and off-boarding for direct reports, supports process for all in-direct reports;
- Develops and manages class management procedures to ensure student, volunteer, and staff safety;
- Trains staff accordingly;
- Supervises, sets goals and standards for the volunteer management team;
- Ensures integration of reporting departments to maximize effectiveness and efficiency;
- Supports development teams and fundraising efforts as necessary;
- Other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Bachelor’s degree;
- At least 7 years of relevant experience;
- California teaching credential preferred;
- Spanish language proficiency preferred;
- A passion for creative and effective teaching, writing, and especially 826LA’s mission;
- Strong communication skills, both written and interpersonal;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong ability to multitask, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment;
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programs team members, and a sense of humor;
- Embeds EDAI-focused goals and ideals in all aspects of work;
- Supervises the Mar Vista Programs Manager, the Echo Park Programs Manager, the In-Schools Programs
- Manager, and the Volunteer Manager;
- Ensures day-to-day operations within purview are having maximum impact toward organizational strategy;
- Makes sound decisions that drive the organization forward and marshals the appropriate resources to execute programs;
- Applies a culturally competent lens to significant decisions and/or new processes;
- Creates a culture of professional development, continuous feedback, and mutual support among staff within purview and in collaboration with other directors;
- Fosters a strong and inclusive team identity with productive relationships, high morale, and an uncompromising focus on the organizational mission.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a non-exempt, full-time position. Workdays are Monday through Friday, and the flexibility to work occasionally on evenings and weekends is necessary. Benefits include 15 days of vacation for the first 2 years, 20 days after that, time off for most school and federal holidays, participation in 826LA’s health care plan at 100% coverage as well as 50% coverage for family members, a full coverage dental plan, 401K plan with employer match, and life insurance plan. The salary range for this position is $75K - $85K commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to be considered for the Director of Education position, you must thoroughly complete our online application (https://826la.org/about/jobs/), and send the following to [email protected] by 12/31/21:
A compelling cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience/transferable skills and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA in this capacity
A detailed resume
Three professional references
Please include your name and "Director of Education” in the subject line. Please note that only complete applications - with cover letter, resume, and references sent to [email protected] - will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
826LA requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, unless exempted for medical purposes or a seriously held religious belief.
826LA prioritizes and incorporates Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in all facets of the organization. 826LA’s staff reflects the diverse student population the organization serves in terms of race and ethnicity. 826LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and highly encourages persons of color, LGBTQIA persons, gender non-conforming persons, persons with disabilities and any other protected groups per local, state, and federal law to apply for this position.
At 826LA, we are committed to considering a broad range of applicants, including and especially those with diverse work experience. If you believe that you could excel in this role, whether you’re new to educational nonprofits, returning to work after a gap in employment, looking for a career change, or to take the next step in your career path, we encourage you to apply. Your cover letter is the perfect place to tell us about your interest in our work and what you could bring to this role.
*826LA currently has a flexwork model, with work facilitated both in-person and remotely. This position may work primarily out of either the Mar Vista or Echo Park location, but will require travel between sites and our school partners.