Los Angeles, CA
Director of Marketing
Job Description as of June 27, 2018
Reports to: President
An integral part of Film Independent’s leadership team, the Director of Marketing leads the organization’s efforts to strategically and creatively strengthen the Film Independent brand, its profile and its regional, national and global position. The Director conceptualizes and develops overall marketing strategies that broaden awareness and reach Film Independent’s constituents—filmmakers, film lovers, funders and the public—in order to increase membership, event ticket and pass revenue, marketing impressions and broadcast ratings for the Film Independent Spirit Awards —while managing a team including full-time staff, part-time seasonal employees and independent consultants.
- Oversee brand strategy, visual identity, advertising and promotions for all of Film Independent’s programs and events
- Work closely with Associate Art Director, outside creative agency on design assets and campaign art including production of marketing materials, Spirit Awards show graphics, trailers, etc. and oversee budgets, timelines and approvals for all projects
- Ensure all of the organization’s visual communications and partner communications are on brand. Educate internal and external partners on the brand guidelines and approve all materials
- Oversee Film Independent’s web properties working with Website & Database Manager and external web developers and host; develop and grow blog and video content working with Digital Content Manager
- Guide, oversee, and execute marketing strategy as well as e-mail communications and social media working with Online Community Manager
- Manage marketing department budget and work with Department Heads to stay within marketing budget on major events and programs
- Identify staffing, services, vendors, partners, funding, and expertise needed to realize short and long-term marketing goals.
- Procure, negotiate and manage strategic media partnerships to maximize donated support from print, radio, broadcast, outdoor and online major media partners
- Educate and advise department heads on marketing campaigns, packaging, pricing, advertising, copy, promotions, and surveys to maximize revenue—admissions, submissions, etc.
- Plan and execute ongoing strategies to:
o Connect Film Independent to its programs
o Increase public attendance at events and brand awareness
o Communicate the organization’s social impact to stakeholders and clarify its mission-based status as a cultural institution
o Amplify the connection between Film Independent and its constituents, retaining current and attracting new members and funders.
- Stay relevant on current market information and best practices. As appropriate, collect market data on television, entertainment, film and like-minded organizations. Conduct market surveys. Communicate findings and adjust plans, schedules and tactics as necessary.
- Report to President and Board of Directors, providing regular updates of marketing efforts and relevant analytics on social media, web traffic and other metrics
- Set clear and defined goals that address market penetration, qualitative and quantitative efforts and progress towards achieving them
- Direct full-time reports include: Associate Art Director, Digital Content Manager, Website & Database Manager, Online Community Manager, Marketing Associate and seasonal employees
- Other duties as assigned
Competencies and Experience
- Minimum eight to 10 years of marketing, communications and branding experience required; event marketing experience is a plus
- Strong leadership skills and experience managing a team
- Experience negotiating partnership agreements, planning and executing campaigns and familiarity with the latest social media/email marketing best practices and trends
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work across departments and find consensus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to plan and schedule projects, effectively manage time, and achieve results with limited resources
- The ability to prioritize, delegate, meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks
- A high level of initiative and enthusiasm
- A strong set of positive core values and principles, integrity and personal ethics
- Experience in the entertainment/media and familiarity with the independent film landscape
- A passion for cinema, the arts and/or independent film and a strong dedication to Film Independent and its values of inclusiveness, diversity and collegiality
- Ability to work well with other team members, all personalities at various levels
- Bachelor’s degree required
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Marketing” in the subject.
No phone calls or direct emails please.