Los Angeles, CA
Status: Contract position, January - August 2019
Reports to: Executive Director, Deputy Director
Supervises: Programming Manager (manages Outfest Los Angeles Hospitality, Programming, and Print Traffic Coordinators) along with Independent Contractors/Programmers for Outfest Los Angeles LGBTQ Film Festival and Outfest Fusion LGBTQ People of Color Film Festival.
The Director of Programming is responsible for managing the programmatic content, as well as continuing to develop and implement Outfest’s strategic plan in regard to festival filmmaker development and connection with the organization.
- Oversee submission process for all festivals (Outfest Los Angeles, Outfest Fusion) including generating submission forms, marketing the call for submissions, maintaining database, soliciting films, and communicating acceptance/rejection to filmmakers.
- Curate festival sections for all festivals including narrative, documentary, shorts, panels, special events, and Platinum (experimental/avant-garde)
- Oversee all programmatic content for marketing materials including capsules, photos, filmmaker bios, and jury bios.
- Oversee jury selection and jury process for Outfest Los Angeles
- Oversee and cultivate industry initiatives at Outfest Los Angeles, ensuring robust industry attendance and engagement at festival
- Promote festivals via print, radio, TV interviews; work with publicity firm to maximize festival publicity.
- Introduce films, facilitate Q&As, and host filmmakers.
- Work with operations team for tech and production needs around programming.
- Collaborate with Outfest Marketing team around community collaborator program and social media marketing efforts.
- Ensure that festival filmmakers have a positive Outfest experience from the moment they are accepted through their screening and then thanking them post festival via the systems that are in place to support them.
- Manage high-touch customer service relationships with key guests and other festival VIPs
- Participate in and oversee administrative and logistic tasks related to ensuring a smooth screening experience
Timeline / Important Dates
- Sundance, January 24 - 30
- Outfest Fusion LGBTQ People of Color Film Festival, March 1 - 6
- Slotting for Outfest Los Angeles, April 15 - 17
- Final Program lock, April 22
- Outfest Los Angeles Gala Announcement, May 7
- Film Guide to Printer, May 17
- Outfest Los Angeles Program Announcement and website launch, June 4
- Outfest Los Angeles LGBTQ Film Festival, July 11 - 21
- Participate in senior team meetings, organizational strategy, and Board meetings.
- Oversee programming related content, including alumni information and upcoming release, for Outfest’s website, blog, mass email and social media.
- Oversee programming department financials including petty cash and purchase orders and budget.
- Maintain relationships with filmmakers, distributors and other entertainment industry persons.
- Represent Outfest at other film festivals and events.
- Participate in determining content for and assist in the writing of grants.
- Other duties as needed.
- Minimum of five (5) years previous film festival programming and/or curating experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience supervising and motivating staff and volunteers.
- Knowledge of LGBTQ film history.
- Relationships with filmmaker, distributors, sales agents and studios.
- Knowledge of film, video, and digital exhibition formats.
- A commitment to Outfest’s mission and an understanding of its programs and their role in the broader LGBTQ movement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, follow-through and persistence.
- Ability to be both engaging and professional when making presentations at events and meetings.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and to succeed under pressure.
- Able to work well in a team and independently.
- Commitment to working with people of varying socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and ethnicities.
- Strong knowledge and skill using MS Office Suite (Excel, Word), familiar with Filemaker Pro, internet research, and social media platforms.
Outfest is an equal opportunity employer. Outfest strongly believes in the strength of diversity and therefore, actively encourages applications from women, people of color, and any qualified person, who support Outfest’s mission.
Mission: Outfest protects our past, showcases our present and nurtures our future by fostering artistic expression of gender, sexuality and LGBTQ culture and its transformative social impact on the world.
Outfest is the world’s leading organization in showcasing, nurturing and preserving lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender film images and artistry. For 27 years Outfest has led the charge, spotlighting emerging talent, creating community between filmmakers and audiences and offering a world-class forum for stories that reflect and transform LGBTQ lives.
Qualified applicants should send résumé and cover letter to [email protected].