Los Angeles, CA
Established in 1979, we are the only artist-founded museum in Los Angeles. We are dedicated and committed
to collecting, presenting, and interpreting art created after 1940. We have a diverse history of ground-breaking,
historically-significant exhibitions. We provide leadership in the field by identifying and presenting the most
significant and challenging art of our time, actively supporting the creation of new work, and seeking artists
from diverse backgrounds. With two distinct venues in Los Angeles—MOCA Grand Avenue and The Geffen
Contemporary at MOCA—and Michael Heizer’s seminal artwork Double Negative (1969-70) in the Nevada desert, we engage audiences through an ambitious program of exhibitions, educational programs, and
MOCA seeks an experienced and motivated Director of Retail Operations with a unique desire to manage and
drive the overall creative direction of the MOCA Stores at Grand Ave and The Geffen. You will set the visual
merchandising standard and provide ongoing evaluation of merchandise display and overall appearance of the
stores. You will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating product launches. Working closely with the
Director of Communications on branding strategy, you will plan out presentations, create new MOCA products,
both general and exhibition related; secure new product sources; develop an overall advertising and marketing
plan; and implement a buying scheme to ensure a profitable inventory turn. The Director of Retail Operations
will source new vendors and opportunities for the Store, including artist editions and exclusive merchandise,
and will work closely with the Chief Development Officer. The incumbent will design and develop a retail
experience that reflects the philosophy of MOCA.
They will work closely with the Retail Store Manager, preparing annual budget and cash flow projections,
financial planning, sales, staff management, inventory, and monitoring.
● Oversee the overall operations of MOCA Stores at Grand Avenue and The Geffen Contemporary,
Develop and implement a creative three-year cost-effective business plan for the MOCA stores to
significantly increase profits and cash flow
● Unify the store teams, fostering collaboration and a positive work environment.
● Provide ongoing training and development to store staff related to the business, product knowledge and customer relations
● Provide planning, leadership, and supervision of future store remodeling and expansion
● Develop new MOCA products both general and exhibition related; provide ongoing investigation of new
products and purchasing sources
● Tracks monthly reporting of budget-to-actual. Tracks trends for business forecasting
● Create and maintain cooperative working relationships with vendors, distributors, publishers, and other
suppliers of products and services to the MOCA Stores
● Oversee daily financial operations including daily and monthly receipts, accounts payable and
receivable in conjunction with the museum's Controller
● Oversee the store’s POS system to enhance inventory operating procedures, cost of sales reporting,
and inventory control
● Manage special store projects; develop and implement necessary ordering, shipping and inventory
● Works closely with the Director of Communications, determining advertising and marketing strategies,
● Design retail program that reflects MOCA’s overall program and mission.
● Create merchandise presentations of the curatorial groupings of products in the store and overall
appearance of MOCA Stores
● Oversee and enhance wholesale business by working with other cultural institutions, galleries, etc. as
● Investigate distribution rights for MOCA products and publications; implement distribution plan
● Maintain a collaborative relationship with the Curatorial, Administration, and other museum departments
● A minimum of five years' retail management experience.
● Expert knowledge of retail marketing and advertising is required
● Product buying and development expertise
● Minimum of two years experience with Shopify platform
● Design/visual merchandising experience
● Bachelor’s Degree in business or a related field preferred.
● Museum and/or art related experience is preferred.
● Excellent communication and leadership abilities
● Excellent interpersonal and project management skills
Salary Range: $115,000 - $125,000. Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacation Time, Sick Time, 401k
Apply here by 7/01/2022.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: sit for
extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend,
stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height.
Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must
be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required.
Heavy usage of computers and phones required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
The Museum of Contemporary Art is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all
individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition,
genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical
conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status
or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms the
Museum of Contemporary Art’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all
Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if
they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of
the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this job description describes you, then you are highly
encouraged to apply for this role.