The Geffen Playhouse is a non-profit, professional theater dedicated to enriching the cultural life of Los Angeles through plays and educational programs that inform, entertain and inspire.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion Statement:
In recognition of the essential examination of systemic racism and injustices, we at the Geffen Playhouse commit to continued analysis and expansion of our own institutional practices in order to be part of the solution. Our vision for the Geffen is that people of all races, faiths, sexual orientations, abilities, genders and backgrounds find it an easily accessible and highly relevant source of art that reflects the dynamic human experience and galvanizes a more equitable and vibrant community. In adopting this statement, we are amplifying our strategic and ongoing commitment to improving and increasing the cultural diversity, equity and inclusion of our audiences, staff, artists, board and programming.
We are committed to the safety and health of our employees, visitors, and the public we serve. As such, Geffen is proud to have implemented a mandatory vaccination policy, requiring COVID-19 vaccination(s) for all employees, including contracted third-party staff, and new hires. In accordance with our mission, we firmly believe that vaccinating all employees is essential for our community’s safety and health. Should you have any questions regarding this, please speak with your recruiting contact directly. The Company understands and respects that a limited number of candidates may have medical or religious reasons for not receiving the vaccine. As such, we are asking those candidates who wish to request an exemption from being required to be vaccinated, submit a request for their exemption through Human Resources once hired.
The Donor Relations & Special Events Associate administers a mission-driven events and stewardship program to enhance and build relationships with Geffen Playhouse donors and community partners. They will perform duties related to event production of Geffen’s signature events, manage a season-long donor benefits calendar, and provide administrative support to reach fundraising and stewardship goals.
• Responsible and accountable for the development, implementation, management, and evaluation of an overall development program
• Manages and executes a comprehensive donor benefit fulfillment program for Annual Giving Donor Circles.
• Responsible for updating donor recognition assets and maintaining an accurate rosters of donor recognition in playbills, lobby glass wall, website, and external communications.
• Generates and maintains donor recognition reports in Audience View.
• Develop online stewardship strategies, social media, mobile and new technologies.
• Serves as a department liaison for key development events (10-13 per year) such as: Opening Nights of all performances in the Gil Cates Theater and Audrey Skirball Kenis Theater, Backstage at the Geffen annual gala, Board of Directors holiday party, donor appreciation events, and annual poker event.
• Manages event invites, RSVP lists and ticket table.
• Develops and cultivates preferred vendor relationships for donor recognition and events. Supports vendor logistics, budgeting, and payment for entertainment, photographers, lighting, and any other logistics required.
• Provides administrative support to the Director of Individual Giving.
• Creates, designs, writes, and distributes electronic and hard copy acknowledgments such as thank you e-mails, post-event thank you videos, and other stewardship communications.
• Oversees Development Intern to ensure acknowledgement letters are sent and recorded in Audience View and archived in the network.
• Maintains an active, consistent, open line of communication with the Director of Individual Giving and fellow development department team members in a positive manner that supports collegiality, mutual respect and a collaborative spirit towards shared team goals and the Geffen’s mission objectives.
• Serves as a backup for gift processing.
Skill and Background
• Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of development or related experience.
• A proven track record working on development events with diverse budgets.
• Experience managing and tracking annual donor benefit fulfillment and a desire to create new mission-driven donor experiences.
• Must understand development and stewardship best practices.
• Strong communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of stakeholders.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of customer relationship management systems (CRM), email service providers, internet applications, and content publishing tools.
• Working knowledge or strong interest in theater or arts administration.
• Experience in copy writing is desired, but not required.
• Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
• Ability to meet deadlines and goals while working under pressure.
The Geffen Playhouse aims to build a diverse and inclusive workplace, in which we strongly encourage non-conforming and historically excluded individuals to apply for any and all available positions.
To apply, please submit a resume with references in .pdf format at www.geffenplayhouse.org/apply by 12/19/21. No phone calls, please.
The Geffen Playhouse, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Geffen Playhouse provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Geffen Playhouse complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us via telephone at 310-208-6500 x148.