Annenberg Space for Photography
Los Angeles, CA
Title: Education and Public Programs Manager for Annenberg Space for Photography
Los Angeles, CA
The Education and Public Programs Manager is a full-time, exempt member of the Annenberg Space for Photography's (ASP) administrative staff and provides leadership, direction and coordination for the Annenberg Space for Photography education and public programs. This role is responsible for the research, development, planning, implementation and evaluation of all education, tour, and public programs at ASP and for ensuring that these forward-thinking programs complement and supplement the exhibition program(s) involve diverse audiences of all ages and serve the institution's mission and values.
- Supervises the Senior Guest Services Lead, Education and works to accomplish the goals of the Annenberg Space for Photography.
- In collaboration with other members of the ASP team as well as members of the Marketing and Communications team, develops, plans, and implements all complementary and paid exhibition programming, including but not limited to tours, lectures, symposia, special activities, performances, film screenings, workshops as well as activities for families and children.
- Develops educational programming to reach a broad range of audiences.
- Supervises and evaluates all museum-based school programs, including school tours for students and the creation of educational materials that align with California State Standards and the Common Core.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates all on-site and off-site programming for general audiences that is mission driven, fiscally sound and audience responsive.
- With the Education Lead, supervises the training and evaluation of ASP Guest Service Associates as it relates to tours and education.
- Prepares and/or supervises exhibition interpretation materials, including touch tables, gallery notes, family activity guides, visitor comment books, programing feedback, info inbox and other related visitor services in close consultation with the Guest Services and Operations Manager.
- Provides the Marketing and Communications team with programming content for the ASP website as well as social media and other marketing needs related to public programing and education.
- Assists in the development of and helps to organize recording of the Museum's audio guide and videos as applicable.
- Cultivates productive educational, performing arts, and other cultural and civic partnerships, leveraging shared resources, cross promotion and creative programming.
- Works closely with the Marketing and Communications team to promote the ASP programs for all constituencies both internally and externally Identifies, initiates, and deepens relationships with various community stakeholders.
- Attends exhibition previews, most programs, and related events as assigned.
- Recommends technological enhancements to education, tour and/or programs to improve the guests experience.
- Manages any problems in training, program effectiveness to the manager, making recommendations to resolve them.
- Completes reports and records accurately and in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervises Senior Guest Services Lead, Education
- Reports directly to the Associate Director, and works closely with the Marketing and Communications, Programming team, and IT/AV teams to execute shows, exhibits and tours
- Regular contact with all ASP staff members.
- Regular contact with outside vendors and service personnel
- Regular contact with public.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and understanding of educational theory and best practices in the area of informal learning and audience engagement.
- Skill in the development of programs and materials in a variety of formats for a range of audiences.
- Entrepreneurial leadership, problem solving and critical thinking skills, and ability to excel in a high-performance culture.
- Ability to manage and motivate talented team members.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working as a team with exceptionally talented professionals in other parts of the organization.
- Demonstrate flexibility in adapting to rapidly changing needs and opportunities.
- Collaborative management style with proven success in a similar education leadership role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to present information in a variety of formats, to understand and present information to a variety of audiences and to communicate ASP's mission with passion and sensitivity.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work well with colleagues, other employees, photographers, external vendors, general public, etc.
- Strong management and analytic skills, both strategic and operational.
- Familiarity and experience with appropriate, current computer programs and technology.
- Professional and enthusiastic demeanor suited to an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to work dependably and proactively with minimal direct supervision.
- Strong sense of punctuality and responsibility.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations.
- A passion for the arts and a commitment of service to the community.
- Availability and willingness to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor degree required, preferably in an area related to arts, photography, education or museum studies. Advanced degree in education, museum education or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience in museum or other informal learning environment.
- Accredited teacher preferred, or a demonstrated track record of working inside and outside the classroom with K-college audiences
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Hours of work are 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday, and some weekends with occasional schedule changes due to events and staffing needs, including late nights.
- Works primarily in an office environment but may also spend time at a desk or public venue. Use of computers requires hand/wrist motion and visual focus
- Working on holidays, weekends and extended hours during special events may be required. Working additional events such as Family Fun Day, late nights and opening events are mandatory.
To apply, please click on this link: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/List/3672/Explore-Annenberg-LLC