ESMoA / artlab21 Foundation
The Education Specialist is responsible of the School and Family Programs for intergenerational audiences, from early childhood to seniors. The Education Specialist will have knowledge of museum education best practices, teaching and pedagogy, and commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity and access, and principles for audience engagement. The Education Specialist builds and maintains a broad range of community relationships across LA County and Southern California, and is knowledgeable about the LA art education ecosystem. The Education Specialist coordinates associated program staff and consultants. Also the Education Specialist is responsible for supporting the training, evaluation, and continued education of volunteer docents who help to provide school, site, and general public tours.A successful candidate will work to inspire curiosity about, and enjoyment and understanding of the arts.
- Manage the planning, development, implementation, documentation and evaluation of innovative programs for in-person and digital intergenerational audiences
- Research trends and best practices in the museum education field for effective gallery teaching strategies.
- Collaborate with fellow team members to enhance visitor experience and community engagement. Treat all ESMoA team members, volunteers, and visitors with respect and contribute to a positive work environment.
- Curious about ESMoA’s thematic Experiences (exhibitions) and have the ability to make personal connections to the works on view.
- Demonstrate understanding of ESMoA’s mission and history.
- Create effective field trips for K-12 school audiences.
- Develop the curriculum for each Experience (exhibition) at ESMoA.
- Cultivate professional relationships and partnerships with local and national mission-aligned institutions to ensure the vitality and diversity of in-gallery programs.
- Design and implement the Mychal’s Learning Place Internship program, an ongoing internship program for young adults with developmental delays.
- Manage gallery education projects and programs; determine priorities and action items; prepare and manage project budgets; provide supporting documentation and updates as necessary.
- Work with staff to keep statistical information on programs, surveys, and document compelling evidence to demonstrate impact.
- Writes and/or reviews grants and grant reports for related program support.
- Rapid communication and collaboration with ESMoA Team to ensure the success of the overall visitor experience.
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s Degree in museum education, art education, art history, or closely related field preferred.
- Minimum 3-4 years of project/process management and subject area experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and experience in gallery-based teaching and art interpretation; demonstrated ability to masterfully teach with works of art.
- Creative thinker, willingness to innovate and experiment with new models of engaging visitors in ESMoA.
- Have an appreciation for different learning styles, knowledge of art history and contemporary art movements, show interest in or have art studio experience such as drawing, painting, writing, etc.
- Lead through a deep commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access, both within ESMoA and with the communities of diverse cultures, backgrounds, gender identities and personalities that we serve.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills for building effective working relationships at all levels within ESMoA, and the ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive team environment.
- Desire to make ESMoA’s education program responsive to the needs of a diverse range of audiences.
- Strong presentation and teaching skills, great attention to detail, and strong diplomatic and mediation skills
- Enthusiastic desire and ability to work within a team
- Foster a culture of research, reflection, and evaluation
- Ability to tour groups in ESMoA, model excellence and innovative teaching strategies
- Think creatively and use new technologies to expand outreach and program impact
- Flexibility, passion, creativity, and adaptability to handle various needs in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Experience planning, forecasting, and managing a budget
- Bilingual in English/Spanish. Multilingual is a plus.
- Excellent computer skills including strong proficiency in standard business software
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Punctual, engaged and enthusiastic.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and Saturdays.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.
Salary & Benefits
This is a fulltime position with an annual salary of $52,000. Benefits include two weeks paid vacation, paid time off on December 24th through December 31st for winter holidays, 9 days off for federal holidays, health benefit stipend, and stipend for professional development opportunities.
artlab21 foundation requires its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to certain exemptions as required by law.
How To Apply
In order to be considered for the Education Specialist position, you must send the following to [email protected] by 3/22/22:
- A compelling cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience/transferable skills and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at ESMoA in this capacity.
- A detailed resume
- A completed Employment Application Form
- Work samples (for example: K-12 curriculum samples, public program descriptions, etc.)
- Optional an Equal Opportunity Data Form
- Please include your name and "Education Specialist” in the subject line. Note that only complete applications - with cover letter, resume, and filled out forms to [email protected] - will be considered. Please submit all documents as pdf. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.