The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
Los Angeles, CA
Under the supervision of the Director of Education and Education Program Coordinator, Gallery Tours, the Educator – Exhibition Highlight Tours will prepare and conduct interactive, inquiry-based tours in support of the museum’s permanent collection and loaned exhibitions. Additionally, the Educator is responsible for circulating throughout the galleries to respond to visitors’ questions and provide general information regarding exhibitions. (Minimum availability of two 3-5 hour shifts per week).
- Previous teaching experience and bachelor's degree in art history, art education, studio art, or closely-related field. Master Degree or higher preferred.
- Must have strong knowledge of contemporary art, educational theory and methods, comfort with inquiry-based teaching, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Weekend availability is required. In addition, Thursday evening availability is desirable.
- Experience teaching adults is preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish or other language preferred.
- Develop and conduct inquiry-based tours for the general public, with emphasis on adult audiences under the supervision of Education Program Coordinator. Circulate throughout museum galleries to engage visitors in conversation, provide information, and answer questions.
- Attend departmental training sessions, including customer service training, exhibition walkthroughs, and regularly-scheduled practice and discussion sessions.
- Conduct research on exhibitions and educational theory and methods.
- On an as-needed basis, participate in the planning and/or implementation of exhibition-based educational programs and artists’ projects.
- Maintain Reading Room by re-shelving books.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the incumbent must be able to do the following: stand for extended periods, sit for extended periods; bend and reach for filing and other job-related functions; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift; reach both above and below shoulder height. Specific visual abilities include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to visually inspect work. Manual dexterity to operate computer and other office equipment required. Heavy usage of computers and phones required.
The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.