Los Angeles, CA
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Elysian, a non-profit theater that supports Los Angeles-based comedy performers and
performances in development, seeks a Managing Director to oversee strategy, organizational operations,
and finances of the theater. This full time leadership role reports to the chairman of the board.
The salary range for this role is $60-80K annually, plus bonus.
● Oversee all operational activities, ensuring that the Elysian establishes and maintains a solid foundation
of fiscal responsibility and sustainable growth.
● Overseeing artist operations, including ownership of artist contracts, payment, and general show
● Creating and executing short and long term growth strategies for the theater
● Ensuring that the physical condition of the space is well maintained, including staying on top of
any necessary repairs or investments as well as city/county codes and licensing, as well as
adherence to COVID protocols
Responsible for the theater’s financial health
● Keeping meticulous financial records and providing board with monthly revenue reporting and
● Managing relationship with our bookkeeper and accountant
● Overseeing payroll and ensuring that all staff is paid in accordance with all local, state, and
● Budgeting for all theater operations, including long term forecasting and planning
Serve as HR and people ops, building and overseeing the theater’s staff. This includes:
● Managing direct reports and building a work culture that ensures good retention and a positive
● Overseeing hiring, onboarding, and employee performance practices
● Setting and upholding DEI best practices
● Implement and manage intern program
● Oversee weekly meetings and staff communication needs
● Manage and administer employee benefits (health insurance, PTO, etc.)
Develop and execute a comprehensive fundraising plan, including individual giving, institutional
partnerships, and grant applications
● Tracking and managing applications for grants
● Building and executing a fundraising program for individual giving and institutional funding
● Oversee repayment of existing government loans
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position, along with your
resume, to [email protected] by Feb 15 2023. Please include Managing Director in the subject line and combine both documents into a single PDF file.
We highly encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. The Elysian cultivates a
diverse workplace and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, and
does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, ethnicity, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), sexual
orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, partnership status, disability, genetic information,
alienage, citizenship, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence/stalking/sex
offenses, unemployment status, or any other legally prohibited basis in accordance with federal, state
and city laws.