826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write.
ABOUT THE POSITION
826LA seeks a nonprofit professional passionate about education access and writing to join our Programs team. The Evening Tutoring Programs Associate oversees the Evening Tutoring program based out of 826LA in Mar Vista and virtually via Zoom, and is responsible for developing, implementing, and refining after-school tutoring curriculum focused on reading, writing, and homework support for students ages 12-18.
During the summer, the Evening Tutoring Programs Associate supports 826LA’s weeklong writing-intensive workshop for middle and high school students - Summer Writers Workshop - in Mar Vista.
With the support of the Mar Vista volunteer team, the Evening Tutoring Programs Associate is also responsible for training, developing, and leading teams of volunteers and interns participating in the Evening Tutoring program. Additionally, the Evening Tutoring Programs Associate works closely with the Mar Vista programming team, as well as the Echo Park and In-schools programming teams, and 826LA’s development team to coordinate additional opportunities for Evening Tutoring program participants through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships. Outside of staff, the Evening Tutoring Programs Associate maintains relationships with program students, families, volunteers, schools, teachers, and community resources.
This position is part time at 25 hours a week, non-exempt, Monday through Friday.
Hourly rate is $19-21 an hour and is commensurate with experience.
- Coordinates daily operations of the Evening Tutoring program in Mar Vista and virtually via Zoom for students ages 12-18, including outreach and student recruitment, application and registration processes, and onboarding and offboarding program participants
- Facilitates communication amongst the student, their teacher, and their parents or guardians in order to support the creation of educational goals for each program participant
- Supports the Workshops Programs Coordinator in Mar Vista plan and run Summer Writers Workshop
- Coordinates volunteer participation in the Evening Tutoring program, including working with the volunteer team to ensure a strong student-to-volunteer ratio, training and developing volunteers to support students in the areas of reading, writing, and homework, and leading and managing a team of volunteers during After-School Tutoring sessions
- Facilitates mutually beneficial interactions between students of various ability levels and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels
- In conjunction with the volunteer team, trains and supervises Evening Tutoring program interns
- Creates and refines curriculum for the Evening Tutoring program as needed
- Oversees and ensures high quality of the writing, editing, and production of Evening Tutoring program publications and coordinates book release events
- Maintains calendar, documentation, and data systems for the Evening Tutoring program and is responsible for timeliness, accuracy, and organization of all program data, including applications, attendance, and evaluations
- Coordinates additional opportunities for students through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships
- Provides support for other programming, operations, communications, and events as needed
- Along with other Mar Vista staff, maintains tidiness and safety of the writing lab
- Acts as a Spanish-speaking family liaison for the Mar Vista site
- Reports directly to the Programs & Operations Manager in Mar Vista.
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- A passion for writing and publication, education, and especially 826LA’s mission
- Strong communication skills, including written and interpersonal, and comfort with public speaking
- Classroom or team management experience
- Experience working with groups of students ages 12-18 and of various ability levels required
- Experience working with and leading volunteers with various levels of experience and from different backgrounds (required)
- Excellent organizational skills (required)
- Ability to multitask, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment required
- Familiarity with Google Suite (required)
- A commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of 826LA programming (required)
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programming team members (required)
- Fluency in Spanish, both verbally and written (required)
- College diploma (preferred)
- Experience designing and implementing after-school tutoring curriculum focused on reading, writing, and/or homework support (preferred)
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES
Planning & Execution: Develops individual work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage one’s own work, ensuring high-quality and timely delivery
Planning & Execution: Communicates project progress to manager and seeks counsel when help is needed to execute on goals
Self Awareness & Development: Seeks to understand own strengths and limitations; is open to seek out feedback and opportunities to grow
Adaptability: Approaches new ideas, changes in work, or challenges with a sense of possibility, openness, positivity, and solutions-based aptitude
Stakeholder Engagement: Values and prioritizes unparalleled service to students, such that stakeholders desire ongoing engagement with 826
In order to be considered for the Evening Tutoring Associate position, you must thoroughly complete this online application, and send the following to [email protected] by 2/4/2022:
1. A compelling cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience/transferable skills and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA in this capacity
2. A detailed resume 3. Three professional references Please include your name and "Evening Tutoring Associate" in the subject line. Please note that only complete applications - with cover letter, resume, and references sent to [email protected] - will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
826LA requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, unless exempted for medical purposes or a seriously held religious belief. 826LA prioritizes and incorporates Equity, Diversity, Accessibility, and Inclusion Diversity in all facets of the organization. 826LA’s staff reflects the diverse student population the organization serves in terms of race and ethnicity. 826LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and highly encourages persons of color, LGBTQIA persons, gender non-conforming persons, persons with disabilities and any other protected groups per local, state, and federal law to apply for this position. At 826LA, we are committed to considering a broad range of applicants, including and especially those with diverse work experience. If you believe that you would excel in this role, whether you are new to educational nonprofits, returning to work after a gap in employment, looking for a career change, or taking the next step in your career path, we encourage you to apply. Your cover letter is the perfect place to tell us about your interest in our work and what you will bring to this role. *826LA is currently functioning with flexwork schedules that include both in-person and remote working.