San Gabriel Mission Playhouse
San Gabriel, CA
Welcome to a world of arts and culture! The San Gabriel Mission Playhouse promotes the development of an
artistic program that celebrates the vibrancy of our diverse community by encouraging access to artists,
producers, and audiences. Located in the heart of a historic neighborhood, we embrace our role as a focal point
for the arts, for the people of the City of San Gabriel, and far beyond. We are proud to host a remarkable and
eclectic array of productions and events ranging from Western Symphonies to Chinese Opera, from Classical
Ballet to Ballet Folklorico, from Jazz to Hip-Hop, and some of the best Mariachi bands to colorful Broadway
Coordinating performances at the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse can be fast-paced and demanding, so the ideal
candidate will be able to multi-task and thrive under pressure as well as have great customer service skills.
Candidates must carefully balance the needs of the producers, artists, City staff, and Playhouse staff while taking
into consideration the strategic goals of the Playhouse.
Under supervision of the Production Supervisor, the Event Coordinator is responsible for running the production
side of theater events as well as overseeing the stage crew and their staffing, training, and scheduling. They will
also assist/manage production improvement projects and maintain equipment logs and repairs. Knowledge of
Cue-lab, Vectorworks, Lightwright, Word, and Excel are desirable. This is a true team environment where we
rely on each other’s strengths and help perform other duties as assigned. Work schedule will vary by week and
will require some evenings and weekends.
Although other combinations may be considered, a typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities
would be college coursework related to theater production and two years of increasingly responsible experience
working on live events. Theatrical knowledge in lighting, programming, electrical knowledge, analog and digital
live sound mixing, rigging, knots, carpentry, sewing, and the ability to lift up to 25 pounds are required.
Possession and maintenance of a Class C California Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record are also
The City of San Gabriel offers the following benefits package:
• Participation in the CalPERS Retirement System: 2% @ 60 for “classic” CalPERS members and 2% @ 62
for new CalPERS members; participating San Gabriel employees will remain in their existing tier.
Job ID #111
• City paid contribution toward medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums: City offers a choice of
multiple medical plans (HMOs and PPOs, through CalPERS) and a choice of a PPO or HMO dental plan.
Although you typically must insure yourself, coverage of dependents is optional.
• Choice of enrollment in Deferred Compensation (457) Programs.
• Optional enrollment in Supplemental Insurance Programs.
• City-paid long term disability and life insurance (1x annual salary).
• City-paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Travel Assistance Program for employees and eligible
• Payment of retiree (and family) health insurance per established vesting schedule.
• Compensation of $100 per month is available to employees who qualify and pass a proficiency
examination in a second language such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Spanish.
• 96 hours of sick leave per calendar year
• 80 hours of vacation per year
• 104 hours of holidays per year
Annual Cash-Out Programs:
• Sick Leave Buy Back allows the cash-out of 50% of unused sick leave accrued in the preceding 12-month
period between November and October.
• Vacation Buy Back allows cash-out of one week up to 40 hours of unused vacation per year.
• Holiday Buy Back program: allows a maximum of the 8 hours of unused holiday hours per year.
Candidates must submit a completed City of San Gabriel application, cover letter and résumé online at
jobs.sangabrielcity.com. All application materials must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July
25, 2018. Faxed, emailed, or hard copies of application materials are not accepted.