Turnaround Arts: California
Los Angeles, CA
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT AND BOARD LIAISON
Co-founded in 2014 by renowned architect Frank Gehry and arts education advocate Malissa Shriver, Turnaround Arts: California is a non-profit organization that administers Turnaround Arts, a school reform program launched by the President’s Committee on the Arts and Humanities under the Obama administration and now run by the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. The program is designed to bring effective and integrated arts education into some of the lowest performing elementary and middle schools in the country. Through this initiative, schools in the process of reform develop new strategies and tools to shift school culture and climate and better engage students and families through the arts.
Reporting to the Executive Director, and supporting the other key team members, including the Program Director, Development and Communications Manager and the Program Manager, the Executive Assistant and Board Liaison will act as a partner to the Turnaround Arts team as the organization builds sustainable organizational structures and processes to ensure success into the future. The Executive Assistant and Board Liaison will provide general support in the following areas: support to the Executive Director related to donor cultivation and support and engagement with the Board of Directors, development administration, including donor acknowledgments and tracking, and organizational operations, including scheduling, school network logistics, basic accounting, and data entry.
This role is key to the success of Turnaround Arts: California as our five-year old organization enters
a new phase of its work. The successful candidate is highly organized, responsive to a fast-paced environment, can work well independently and collaboratively, and is highly committed to social justice and creating equitable educational opportunities through the arts.
Turnaround Arts: California is committed to building a culturally diverse, collaborative organization dedicated to increasing educational equity through the arts. Turnaround Arts: California strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS SUPPORT (35%)
- Support Executive Director’s short and long term goals and plans through weekly action planning and calendar management
- Build relationships with Board members, ensure regular communication, and drive and track engagement by and with Board members
- Prepare all materials and oversee all logistics for Board and Committee meetings
- Support Executive Director and Development and Communications Manager with prospect research, donor outreach, briefings in preparation for donor meetings
- Support Development and Communications Manager to ensure up-to-date donor tracking systems for prospective and current donors
- Provide on-site support at high profile artist visits and events
- Process donor acknowledgement letters and maintain up-to-date organizational contact lists
- Process invoices, reimbursements, and check requests
- Assist with organizing, coding, and submitting receipts for monthly expense reports
- Schedule and handle logistics for meetings, and coordinate travel arrangements
- Monitor firstname.lastname@example.org account and respond to or redirect inquiries
- Maintain highly organized digital and paper filing systems
- Provide on-site and logistical support at local, school-based events, as appropriate
- Complete other administrative duties, as needed
The Executive Assistant and Board Liaison will have additional responsibilities, as necessary. This position may require occasional, local travel using candidate’s own car.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a relevant field of study
- 2-3 years of relevant development and/or high-level administrative support experience
- Demonstrated experience to perform the job responsibilities outlined above
REQUIRED SKILL SETS
Highly organized, self-motivated team player, excited to play a critical role in a small office
and contribute to meaningful, mission driven work
- Effective oral and written communication skills, demonstrating tact, diplomacy, and accuracy
- Ability to professionally format emails, letters, and other documents
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and Google G-Suite
- Demonstrated discretion in dealing with high-profile contacts
Ability to quickly adapt to changing circumstances and priorities, take appropriate initiative,
and work independently
- Ability and willingness to learn and perform a variety of administrative tasks as shifting program demands require
- Ability to represent Turnaround Arts: California in a professional manner
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Wordpress, and/or Mailchimp a plus
- Full-time, exempt position
- Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience
Benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan, paid holidays,
and paid time off
- Mileage reimbursement for work-related travel beyond daily commute
Submit the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line “Executive Assistant and Board Liaison.” Only fully complete applications will be reviewed. No phone inquiries.
- Cover letter demonstrating interest and ability to perform the job responsibilities outlined above; and
- Resume demonstrating experience and education
Materials will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis with priority given to applications received by July 8, 2019.
NOTICE: All statements made on the application materials are subject to verification. Exaggerated, false, or misleading statements may be cause for rejection of the application and/or termination of employment. All information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied offer of employment. We reserve the right to reject any or all applications, or to terminate the selection process for any position without prior notice.