Kounkuey Design Initiative
Los Angeles, CA
Organization: Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI)
Job Opening: ASAP
Closing date: When Filled
KDI is currently seeking a fabrication design associate to add to our growing team of about 15 staff in downtown Los Angeles, CA. This is a fantastic opportunity for a highly motivated and creative self-starter to work directly with under-resourced communities throughout Southern California. The candidate will work in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary studio environment including landscape architects, urban planners, artists, community organizers, and program development specialists. The candidate should excel in design thinking with strong representation skills with an emphasis on 3-D modeling and fabrication of site-scale architecture.
• Develop design concepts for projects including vacant lot activations,
complete streets demonstrations, play streets, and mobile architecture.
• Assist with the documentation of elements such as street furnishings, play
elements, shade structures, kiosks and mobile carts.
• Rhino and Physical modeling
• Setting up files for digital fabrication
• Coordination with fabricators across different media (metal, wood, plastic)
• Operation of basic shop equipment
• Degree in Architecture, Landscape, Product or Industrial design.
• Experience in the design, prototyping and fabrication of site furnishings
• Proficient in AutoCAD
• Proficient hand drawing
• Excellent skills in Adobe CS, Rhino and VRay.
• Excellent communication and public speaking skills
• Bilingual (Spanish-English), a plus.
How to Apply:
Send electronic copy of cover letter, résumé, portfolio and three (3) references to:
Subject heading: Fabrication Design Associate: Your Name
Kounkuey Design Initiative
309 East 8th Street, #205
Los Angeles, CA 90014
+1 213 537 0031
Portfolio should highlight digital fabrication work. Please include digital drawings
and photography showing your design exploration and the progression of your work
from prototype to final product.
KDI is a non-profit design and community development organization. We
collaborate with under-resourced communities to advance equity and activate the
unrealized potential in neighborhoods and cities. We accomplish this mission
through advocacy, research, planning, and built works.
We have been recognized for our innovative approach to poverty alleviation by
notable institutions such as The Rockefeller Foundation, UN-Habitat, The California
Endowment, Ashoka Changemakers, American Express, Annenberg Alchemy,
Smithsonian Institute, IDEO, Echoing Green, The Atlantic Renewal Project, and
UN/Dubai and Swiss Re Foundation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race,
religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical