Southern California Institute of Architecture
Los Angeles, CA
The Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc) is seeking a part time Fabrication Technician to be a part of a diverse community of 500 students, 80+ faculty and 50 staff. SCI-Arc brings together accomplished architectural professionals who encourage creativity, share knowledge, and foster independence by focusing on the individual learning experience.
The Fabrication Technician is responsible for assisting students, faculty and staff in the completion of coursework and research using all fabrication equipment. Within a busy and fast-paced academic environment, the Fabrication Technician will also be responsible for advising all Shop users in the safe and proper operation of equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enforce Shop policies and protocols
- Advise and train users in the safe and proper use of woodworking tools and equipment
- Advise and assist Shop users in the completion of their projects
- Advise and assist students, faculty, staff and exhibitors with gallery installations
- Assist in the supervision and training of student workers
- Work with Shop staff, students and faculty to complete construction of furniture, fixtures, jigs for Shop and campus use
- Repair and maintenance of equipment
- Maintain a clean shop environment
- Tool circulation and inventory tracking
- Other tasks, as assigned
- 1 to 2 years general woodworking experience, using standard saws/jointers/planers/ shapers/sanders/etc.
- 1 to 2 years general metalworking/welding experience, using saws/grinders/brakes/benders/MIG/ etc.
- Experience with Digital fabrication equipment (3D Printers/CNC Laser Cutters/Router Mills) preferred
- Experience with Thermal-Forming; Resin/Plaster Casting; Mold-Making preferred
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (experience with Adobe Illustrator a plus)
- Must be comfortable wearing appropriate respiratory equipment for work in a dusty environment, along with any other required safety equipment (face shields/goggles/protective clothing)
- Candidates should be capable of lifting 50 pounds
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings and some holidays as needed
- Experience in an Academic setting preferred
SCI-Arc is an Equal Opportunity Employer that Values Diversity.
SCI-Arc offers generous benefits package and the opportunity to be part of an exciting and growing Fabrication Department staffed by a team of talented and creative individuals from varied design and building backgrounds..
How to apply:
Please apply through Institution's website at: https://sciarc.edu/institution/careers/