Los Angeles, CA
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, support for English language learners, and we produce student publications. All of our programs are offered at no cost to students and families, are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in the student’s individual voice.
About the position:
The Field Trips Programs Coordinator oversees the Field Trips program based out of 826LA in Mar Vista, and is responsible for coordinating writing project-based Field Trips for classes of students that visit 826LA in Mar Vista or participate virtually via Zoom throughout the school year. The Field Trips Program Coordinator develops, implements, and refines writing curriculum for younger students focused on sparking an excitement for writing through publication, including an introduction to basic storytelling structure, poetry, and the choose your own adventure genre. Curriculum for older students focuses on personal narrative and real world application, including STEM, memoir, and college application personal statements. The Field Trips Programs Coordinator recruits, develops, and sustains relationships with local educators and target schools, with the goal of serving a community of underserved students as outlined by 826LA’s strategic plan.
During the summer, the Field Trips Programs Coordinator co-leads 826LA’s Write On! Summer Camp in Mar Vista along with the Tutoring Programs Coordinator, and is responsible for onboarding, supervising, and offboarding a team of Summer Associates as they design and lead the camp.
With the support of the volunteer team, the Field Trips Programs Coordinator is also responsible for training, developing, and leading teams of volunteers and interns participating in the Field Trips program. Additionally, The Field Trips Programs Coordinator works closely with the Mar Vista programming team, as well as the Echo Park and In-schools programming teams, and 826LA’s development team to coordinate additional opportunities for educators and Field Trips program participants through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships.
This position is full time, non-except, Monday through Friday, with the flexibility to work occasionally on evenings and weekends.
Salary range is $40-45k and is commensurate with experience. Benefits include two weeks vacation, participation in 826LA’s health and dental care plan, 401K, and life insurance plan.
- Coordinates daily operations for the Field Trip program in Mar Vista and virtually via Zoom, including doing outreach for, scheduling, and running a number of in-person and/or virtual Field Trips per school year based on 826LA’s strategic plan
- Pursues, develops, and sustains relationships and partnerships with local educators and target schools, including outreach via flyering and presentations, and coordinates opportunities through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships
- Coordinates Write On! Summer Camp along with Tutoring Programs Coordinator, including onboarding, supervising, and offboarding a team of Summer Associates
- Coordinates volunteer participation in the Field Trips program, including working with volunteer team to ensure a strong student-to-volunteer ratio, training and developing volunteers to perform particular field trip roles, and leading and managing a team of volunteers during Field Trips
- Facilitates mutually beneficial interactions between students of various ability levels and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels
- In conjunction with the volunteer team, trains and supervises Field Trip program interns
- Creates and refines curriculum for field trip lesson plans as needed
- Oversees and ensures high quality of the writing, editing, and production of Field Trips publications
- Maintains calendar, documentation, and data systems for the Field Trips program and is responsible for timeliness, accuracy, and organization of all program data, including applications, attendance, and evaluations
- Coordinates additional opportunities for students through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships
- Provides support for other programming, operations, communications, and events as needed
- Along with other Mar Vista staff, maintains tidiness of the writing lab
- Reports to the Programs Manager at Mar Vista.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate they have:
- A passion for writing and publication, education, and especially 826LA’s mission (required)
- Strong communication skills, including written and interpersonal, and comfort with public speaking (required)
- Classroom or team management experience (required)
- Experience working with groups of students ranging in ages 6-18 and of various ability levels (required)
- Experience working with and leading volunteers with various levels of experience and from different backgrounds (required)
- Excellent organizational skills (required)
- Ability to multitask, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment (required)
- Familiarity with Google Suite (required)
- A commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of 826LA programming (required)
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programs team members (required)College diploma (preferred)
- Experience designing and implementing writing curriculum (preferred)
- Fluency in Spanish, both verbally and written, (preferred)
How to apply:
In order to be considered for the Field Trips Programs Coordinator position, you must thoroughly complete the online application, and send the following to [email protected]:
- A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA
- A detailed resume
- A list of three references
Please include your name and "Field Trips Coordinator - MV" in the subject line.
Please note that only complete applications - with cover letter, resume, and references sent to [email protected] - will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
826LA prioritizes and incorporates Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in all facets of the organization, including internships. 826LA’s staff reflects the diverse student population the organization serves in terms of race and ethnicity. Interns of all ages and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. 826LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and highly encourages persons of color, LGBTQIA persons, gender non-conforming persons, persons with disabilities and any other protected groups per local, state and federal law are encouraged to apply for this position.