Echo Park, CA
826LA is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. With this in mind we provide after-school tutoring, evening and weekend workshops, in-school tutoring, support for English language learners, and we produce student publications. All of our programs are offered at no cost to students and families, are challenging and enjoyable, and ultimately strengthen each student's power to express ideas effectively, creatively, confidently, and in the student’s individual voice.
About the position:
The Field Trips Programs Coordinator oversees the Field Trips program based out of 826LA in Echo Park. The Programs Coordinator is responsible for running successful (and fun!) educational Field Trips for classes of students that come to visit 826LA throughout the school year. Field Trips center around writing and publishing, with older students focusing on topics like poetry, memoir, and personal statements, and younger students encountering our elusive publishers, Mr. and Mrs. Barnacle. The Programs Coordinator develops and sustains relationships with area schools and educators and facilitates pathways to other 826LA programs, with the goal of reaching a community of underserved students as outlined by 826LA’s strategic plan. The Programs Coordinator works closely with the Echo Park programming and volunteer team, as well as the programs teams at Mar Vista and In-schools, and the development team at 826LA.
Coordinates daily operations for the Field Trip program, scheduling at least 100 field trips per school year, and maintains data, filing, and calendar systems for this program;
- Develops healthy partnerships and relationships with target schools and teachers, and creates opportunities for target students to participate in Field Trips, Workshops, In-Schools, and Tutoring programs;
- Coordinates volunteer participation in the Field Trips program, and works with volunteer team to ensure a strong student to volunteer ratio as well as cultivating volunteers to particular field trip roles;
- Updates and creates curriculum for various lesson plans as needed;
- Oversees production and ensures high quality of Field Trip publications;
- Responsible for accuracy, timeliness, and organization of all program evaluations;
- Provides support for other in-house programming and operations as needed;
- Trains and supervises Field Trip support interns;
- Along with the Echo Park team, maintains tidiness of the writing lab;
- Support the Communications team with development tasks;
- Supports 826LA programs and events as necessary;
- Reports to the Programs Manager at Echo Park.
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate they have:
- A passion for writing, education and especially 826LA’s mission required;
- Strong communication skills, both written and interpersonal required;
- Excellent organizational skills required;
- Strong ability to multi-task, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment required;
- College diploma required;
- Classroom management experience preferred;
- A commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of 826LA programming desired;
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programs team members, and a sense of humor required.
This position is FULL TIME, Monday through Friday, and the flexibility to work occasionally on evenings and weekends is necessary. Benefits include two weeks vacation, participation in 826LA’s health and dental care plan, 401K, and life insurance plan. Salary is commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
- A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA
- A detailed resume
- A list of three references
Please include your name and "Field Trips Coordinator" in the subject line.
Please note that only complete applications--with cover letter, resume, and references sent to [email protected] be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.