Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery (LAMAG)
Job Opportunity Notice - Gallery Attendant
City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs
(This position is an As Needed/Intermittent Staff Position with no health care benefits.)
The Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery (LAMAG), located in Barnsdall Art Park in Hollywood seeks a Gallery Attendant. The Gallery Attendant will facilitate visitor experience. This is a part-time, as needed position and is not eligible for benefits.
Established in 1954, LAMAG is the longest running institution in Los Angeles devoted solely to exhibiting art. The gallery focuses on artists from Los Angeles – in particular underrepresented artists whose work may not otherwise have found a platform. Our exhibitions, educational and public programs aim to inspire conversation about the contemporary issues and ideas that resonate most with the people of Los Angeles. LAMAG is a facility of the City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs.
- Maintaining art exhibits and galleries, including opening and closing the gallery
- Patrolling the gallery to protect exhibits
- Maintaining a high standard of customer service at all times, including the front desk and in the galleries
- Generating interactive and sociable experiences of the gallery and its programs for visitors
- Monitoring and reporting on visitor response and experience of gallery and its programs
- Enforce museum policies
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor
- Assisting with gallery education and tours
- Updating social media
- Selling catalogs
- Preparing galleries for lectures, study classes, and special events by setting up such items as chairs, tables, speaking platforms, microphones, and projectors
- Receiving and stacking incoming supplies
- May occasionally be assigned to other duties for training purposes or to meet technological changes or emergencies
- Personable, punctual, and positive attitude
- Interest in contemporary art
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
- Prior experience at a cultural institution preferred
- Ability to multi-task and flexibility with day to day tasks
- Weekends, holidays, and some evening availability
- Familiarity with Dropbox, Google Suite including Drive, Docs and Mail and Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Customer service experience
- High school diploma or GED required
- Bachelor's degree preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must be able to stand for extended periods; sit for extended periods; climb up and down stairs; bend, stoop, and lift to move and retrieve materials; pull, push, and lift up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and completed City application, which can be downloaded at http://per.lacity.org/application.pdf. Send applications to email@example.com by close of business (5:00PM) on Saturday, November 30th.