Otis College of Art and Design
Los Angeles, CA
Graduate Admissions Counselor
The Graduate Admissions Counselor counsels prospective graduate and undergraduate students regarding admission policies and procedures. Facilitates and implements strategic initiatives that are of critical importance to meeting the graduate-level enrollment goals of the College. Reviews and evaluates undergraduate applications to determine qualification for admission to Otis. The position involves extensive travel within the United States as well as working evenings and weekends. This position reports directly to the Assistant Director of Admissions Recruitment.
• Counsels prospective graduate students on the admissions process. Arranges onsite appointments and tours for both the main campus and MFA studios. Guides admitted graduate students on the proper submission of forms and documents to ensure official enrollment at the College.
• Collaborates with various College departments to produce Graduate Orientations for fall, spring, and summer semesters. Provides campus tours to new and prospective graduate students.
• Serves as the primary point of contact for graduate-level Department Chairs. Acquires an in-depth knowledge of the various graduate-level academic requirements and enrollment goals. Prepares graduate applications for the review and evaluation process by the graduate departments.
• Contributes to the development of recruitment plans for the MFA programs. Performs research on opportunities to connect with prospective graduate students (both in person, online and in print) and assists with coordinating college visits, lectures and presentations on college campuses for MFA faculty.
• Attends outreach programs and other recruitment efforts (i.e., classroom visits in high schools and/or community colleges, group visits to campus, college fairs, graduate fairs and other special events) to cultivate prospective undergraduate and graduate prospects. Represents Otis College locally and nationwide. Gives presentations on Otis College’s programs to prospective students and parents in various settings.
• Manages an assigned territory to develop qualified undergraduate and graduate applicants for admission and enrollment at Otis College. Counsels applicants on admission policies and procedures. Communicates with prospective students via in-person interviews, by telephone, over Zoom, during portfolio reviews, on campus tours, and via written communication (i.e., responding to emails regarding application status, writing inquiries to prospective students.)
• Reviews student artwork and credentials at both undergraduate and graduate portfolio day events. Offers solutions to applicant problems and answers questions regarding admissions policies and/or procedures.
• Reviews applications for admission interpreting both domestic and international academic records. Evaluates portfolio submissions and other application items. Responsible for holistically evaluating applications using Otis College’s rubric.
• Evaluates transfer applications and awards transfer credit based on academic credentials and the portfolio. Creates academic plans for prospective transfer students.
• Responsible for planning robust recruitment trips including booking school visits and events, coordinating travel arrangements and processing follow-up documentation/expense reports. Completes event evaluations and all trip follow-up correspondence.
• Represents Otis College at on campus recruitment events. Performs tours of the campus at events and other instances as needed. Assists with event preparation and set-up as needed.
• Establishes and maintains a network of relationships with secondary school counselors, art teachers, high school and community college counselors, undergraduate instructors.
• Serves as an information resource for the Otis community and the local community. Identifies opportunities to increase program visibility on campus and through community partnerships.
• Participates in and contributes to meetings, training programs, and the department’s overall operational goals.
• Maintains currency on College policies affecting admissions, recruitment, financial aid, transfer credit evaluation, and other areas related to enrollment.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree required. A Master’s degree or 5 years of experience working in recruitment and admissions, higher education, or for arts organizations is required. Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Suite required. This position requires a rigorous approach to collaborating across academic and administrative departments. Individual must have excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking experience. Technology proficiency including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and databases/CRMs. Individual must be able to work collaboratively in a team-based environment. Self-motivation, self-discipline, and the ability to work with a minimum of supervision are essential. Must be willing and able to travel and work evenings and weekends. Experience and/or education at a fine art and design institution or similar background are highly desirable.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply via Otis’ website at https://otis.simplehire.com/postings/1519 to be considered for the position.
Do you like this post?