San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory
San Diego, CA
SAN DIEGO YOUTH SYMPHONY AND CONSERVATORY
Job Title: Graphic Design Assistant
Reports to: Marketing and Communications Manager
Status: Part-time 20 hours/week, Non-Exempt
About this Position
The San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory (SDYS) is seeking a part-time Graphic Design Assistant to provide day-to-day support of SDYS’ program and fundraising goals through internal and external graphic design and communications assistance. S/he is responsible to the Marketing and Communications Manager in a busy, team environment.
The ideal candidate will not only have proven marketing and communications skills, but will also be committed to our core values of inclusiveness, personal achievement, and community leadership. This position is an excellent opportunity to provide graphic and communications support to enrich lives through music education.
Graphic design and layout assignments will focus primarily on updating existing collateral and presentations, creating new design templates for internal stakeholders, email templates, electronic/social media graphic production, and website updates.
The Graphic Design Assistant is responsible for the following:
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications Manager to maintain and protect the SDYS brand guidelines
- Assist in both design and communications projects, including editing existing layouts and creating new layouts for concert programs, brochures, flyers, posters, promotional items, website, email blasts, and social media
- Size, crop, and perform basic retouching on digital photos
- Package/prepare files for release to printers, media partners or freelancers
- Prepare images for online and mobile applications
- Troubleshoot problems as they arise with stakeholders and outside vendors
- Remain proficient in desktop publishing techniques
- Perform other projects/duties as assigned
We’re seeking candidates who excel in creating visual concepts and layouts that inform, inspire and captivate audiences, and who thrive in a passionate, collaborative environment. You should have or be:
- Associate degree in graphic design, fine arts, or a related field
- At least one year of design experience as an intern or professional designer
- Strong design skills with attention to detail, quality and proofreading with a degree of creativity
- Knowledge of layout and design principles
- Current knowledge of and proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite (Cloud) including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and Microsoft Office on a PC platform, as well as Google Suite equivalents
- Knowledge of print production and a working knowledge of preparing documents for printing
- Familiarity with Wordpress and Constant Contact, MailChimp, or Emma desired
- Excellent communication skills, along with the ability to work under deadlines on simultaneous projects
- Positive attitude and team player
- Knowledge of and experience in instrumental music preferred
Candidates invited to interview should be prepared to present a portfolio of work that demonstrates breadth of experience in both print and digital media.
This position requires sitting at a desk or workstation, walking, standing, climbing stairs,
hearing, speaking, being able to lift up to 25 lb. and able to drive to locations pertaining to
organizational operations as needed. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. This is a part-time, 20 hour/week position with the potential to work additional hours for special events on weekends and/or evenings according to the season calendar. The position is not eligible for benefits, with the exception of paid sick leave, pre-tax FSA contribution, 401(k) participation (non-matching), and discounts offered by participating Balboa Park institutions. We will begin reviewing applications immediately; position is open until filled. To apply, send an email with a current resume and thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com.
About the San Diego Youth Symphony
SDYS’ mission is to instill excellence in the musical and personal development of students through rigorous and inspiring musical training experiences. We do this through both our traditional youth symphony programming (Conservatory Programs) and our neighborhood- centered programming (Community Programs). Our vision is to make music education accessible and affordable for all. For more information, please visit www.sdys.org.