The Colburn School
Los Angeles, CA
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, The Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four different units: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts, the Colburn Music Academy and the Colburn Dance Academy. The Community Engagement office serves all four units with various programmatic initiatives.
The Colburn School's mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
Under the direction of the VP of Communications, the graphic designer provides design and administrative support to the Communications Department. This person designs print and digital projects, adhering closely to Colburn brand identity standards as set forth by the creative director, and creates templates to allow other departments to independently produce basic materials. The graphic designer manages the production schedule that tracks design requests from around the school, serves as project manager for select creative projects, and assists the creative director in print runs, photo shoots, and other special projects as assigned. This person is able to work quickly and efficiently to produce creative assets that reflect the School’s design guidelines, including posters, postcards, invitations, website images, programs, and flyers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Tracks all design requests in graphics production schedule; meets regularly with design team to report on the status of creative projects and discuss new requests.
- Gathers information necessary to start design and production, determines timeline and cost, tracks status of all projects, and communicates with people across the school about the status of their requests.
- Designs basic print and digital materials from conception to delivery, including infographics, flyers, postcards, posters, brochures, invitations, stationery, business cards, banners, and signage.
- Creates and updates templates to ensure graphic design standards are consistent in printed and digital publications and materials.
- Guides colleagues on design standards including proper usage of the logo, fonts, color, etc.
- Works with printers, photographers, and other vendors; monitors budgets as needed.
- Assists with photo cataloging: edits and formats photos; prepares photographs for print and/or display including retouching, sizing, cropping and scanning; tags photos as needed; distributes photographs to appropriate sources.
- Maintains appropriate, positive, and professional interpersonal relationships with staff, peers, consumers, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
- Provides administrative support to the Communications department; performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent experience.
- One to three years of experience in graphic design and administrative duties in a graphic design/communications department.
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and production process within the field of graphic design.
- Excellent design skills. Proficient in use of Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, including In Design, Photoshop and Illustrator. Experience in LightRoom and/or Adobe Premiere Pro a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills. Able to track multiple requests and deadlines.
- Ability to work productively and independently and as a member of a team.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills are essential. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be creative, flexible and have the ability to adapt to changing conditions.
- Knowledge of classical music and/or dance a plus.
Excellent salary and great benefits including medical, dental, life, LTD, 403(b) retirement plan and more!
Apply online at: