Los Angeles, CA
Professional artist studio seeking a full-time graphic designer with interest in printmaking for a permanent, long-term commitment position. You will be working closely with the artist and additional designers on a wide range of projects in a dynamic studio environment.
The ideal candidate will show a proven ability to creatively problem solve and possesses exceptional technical proficiency. You must be able to: manage several tasks at once while being efficient; work alongside a team in a pleasant and courteous manner; work independently as needed; learn quickly and implement new techniques into your workflow.
Job duties entail a mix of visual brainstorming, advanced image processing and compositing, and ink color mixing and printing. It is essential that the candidate possesses the ability to work both rapidly and fastidiously. Additionally, the candidate must be able to think critically and creatively; this is NOT a strictly technical production position. Applicants must also have excellent time-management skills.
This is a full-time position averaging 35+ hours per week. If hired, there will be a required 6-week trial period. Compensation commensurate with experience. Please DO NOT APPLY if you do not see yourself working in this position for a minimum of 5 years.
Incomplete applications will be discarded.
- 5+ years experience working in design, printmaking, or a fine art studio
- Expert mastery and speed with Photoshop and Illustrator. InDesign knowledge a plus.
- Interest and willingness to learn printmaking methodologies
- Strong aesthetic sense with good knowledge of traditional composition & color theory concepts
- Familiarity with fine art/contemporary art
Our ideal candidate possesses most of the knowledge areas listed below, but more importantly, is able to learn quickly and problem solve when they run into obstacles.
- Exceptional masking skills
- Understanding of recursive/non-destructive editing techniques (adjustment layers, smart objects, layer and vector masks)
- Understanding the internal logic of and best uses for different layer blending modes
- Expertise manipulating curves layers, black and white conversion, color balancing, and hue/saturation adjustments.
- Ability to select specific colors and manipulate them using HSB.
- Knowledge and understanding of different color profiles, gamuts, and workflows.
- Familiarity working with, adding to, and editing a shared library
- Expert understanding of how to draw and manipulate paths using the pen tool.
- Ability to make mathematically precise edits and corrections using transform, move, align, and pathfinder tools
- Understanding of clipping masks
- Knowledge of typographic standards and best practices
- Understanding of prepress workflows, using different pdf presets and packaged .INDD files
- Understanding how to use grids and master pages.
- Expertise in RAW editing and image organization
Optional Skills to Possess
- Excellent color mixing skills
- Processing images for silkscreen film output
- Experience with film registration
- Experience printing with large screens
- Thorough knowledge of how to light meter and bracket and relationship of ISO, sensor size, shutter speed, lens, and aperture
- Understanding of best studio lighting practices
- Experience lighting and photographing both live models and product photos.
- Understanding of different lens types and their uses
Experience with 3D software
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with cover letter, CV, and portfolio to [email protected]