Los Angeles, CA
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Head of Operations offers critical strategic and practical leadership and hands-on involvement in daily operations to ensure that the museum looks beautiful and operates seamlessly and sustainably.
- Oversee maintenance, care, and improvements of the museum galleries, garden, and off-site storage to ensure that facilities are clean, safe, functional, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Supervise facilities specialist and custodial staff.
- Manage facilities budget.
- Communicate and coordinate with facilities and operations vendors such as those who provide services relating to landscaping, IT, security, carpentry, supplies, etc.
- Update and track all facilities and maintenance schedules.
- Responding to the conceptual and programmatic ideas of the Programming, Development, and Education departments, and with support from the museum’s in-house event staff as well as outside vendors, the Head of Operations plays a leading role in event planning and production of events ranging from lectures to musical performances to 300+-person receptions. In particular, the Head of Operations will
- Be the lead producer of Wende special events such as exhibition openings and large receptions (3-5/year).
- Provide guidance as needed to the Programming, Development, and Visitor Engagement departments to ensure the smooth execution of standard Wende events planned and executed by those departments such as lectures, film screenings, and smaller development events (approx. 50/year).
- Facilitate and co-produce third-party events at the Wende. Supported by the Visitor Engagement department, the Head of Operations works in partnership with third parties who rent the museum for events to produce third-party events from the museum side.
- Establish and maintain relationships with vendors such as caterers, audiovisual technicians, DJs, photographers, and party rentals suppliers.
- Manage special-event budgets, schedules, and agreements.
- Supervise the Wende’s Visitor Engagement Manager and Education Manager.
- In conjunction with the Deputy Director, ensure that the Visitor Engagement Manager and Education Manager are creating and implementing programs that align with the museum’s mission and overall objectives.
- Provide senior-level guidance and oversight to the Visitor Engagement and Education departments relating to programming, operations, documentation, and the museum gift shop.
Full-time staff position. The ideal core schedule for this position is M-F, 7 am to 3 pm, with variances as needed to work evenings or weekends for special events. This position requires the flexibility to work a schedule that may vary from week to week depending on event schedules and facilities needs. An average workweek of 40 hours is expected.
Salary: $62,000-70,000, depending on experience and qualifications, with medical/dental/vision benefits and paid time off.
Position is available January 2020
Recognizing that this is an ongoing process, the Wende Museum is committed to continually increasing diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and sustainability. People of color, LGBTQIA+ people, people without formal education, and others who may have been marginalized by conventional hiring practices are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proactive, creative, and resourceful problem solver
- Enjoys a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Takes pride in a well-maintained, beautiful facility
- Loves planning events
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Committed to cultivating and maintaining an equitable, inclusive, and sustainable workplace culture
- Able to multi-task a wide variety of activities, prioritizing conflicting needs
- Able to follow projects through to completion
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Able to work effectively independently and also as a positive team player
- Able to demonstrate emotional maturity and strong interpersonal skills
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience in a senior role in a small- to mid-sized nonprofit/arts organization
- Experience with event planning and/or facilities oversight
- Valid California Driver’s License and reliable automobile with insurance coverage for use on the job
Please send resume and cover letter to Deputy Director, Jessica Hoffmann at Jhoffmann@wendemuseum.org with “Head of Operations” in the subject line.