Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles, CA
The Skirball Cultural Center of Los Angeles—a dynamic cultural institution guided by the Jewish tradition of welcoming the stranger and devoted to strengthening connections between people and communities—seeks to fill a new managerial position within the Education and Visitor Experience department, with a focus on ensuring optimal experiences for the Skirball’s diverse, cross-generational audiences.
The Head of Visitor Experience will supervise the Docent Coordinator, the Volunteer Services Manager, and the Visitor Experience Manager, with the goal of creating a positive, welcoming, and accessible experience for all Skirball visitors. The Head of Visitor Experience will be directly responsible for the training, evaluation, and recruitment of docents touring the Skirball’s changing exhibitions and its permanent exhibition on Jewish history, values, and culture.
The Head of Visitor Experience will report to the Vice President of Education and Visitor Experience. This is a full-time, exempt position that includes one regular weekend day per week and the flexibility to work other weekend days, occasional evenings, or holidays, as needed.
- Directly supervise the Docent Coordinator, Private Tour Scheduler, and 60+ Skirball docents who offer adult tours; the Visitor Experience Manager, who oversees admissions staff; and the Volunteer Services Manager, who oversees the Skirball’s 120+ volunteers.
- Train, coach, evaluate, and, as needed, recruit docents responsible for providing adult tours and in-gallery facilitation.
- Create talking points and tour guidelines for docents on changing and permanent exhibitions for adult visitors, consulting with curators as needed. Research and select reading materials. Model touring and facilitation techniques.
- Work closely with the school programs team to create the lineup of workshops, speakers, training sessions, and recognition events for all docents, including school and adult docents.
- Oversee the development and implementation of customer-service procedures, messaging, and engagement strategies; serve as a greeter/concierge in the lobby one weekend day per week and at other times as needed.
- Work with heads of different Skirball teams to ensure that all relevant, accurate information (both day-of and ongoing) is conveyed to all frontline staff, including Security, Membership, and store and café staff.
- Build positive relationships with the Docent Council and Volunteer Board.
- BA or higher (MA preferred) in art history, history, museum studies, or related field
- Strong leadership, managerial, and interpersonal skills; proven ability to guide effectively teams of volunteers or docents
- Excellent communication skills; warm and welcoming manner and ability to engage positively with people of different ages and workstyles
- Prior experience writing tour scripts or talking points for museum exhibitions and training others to deliver them
- Sufficient knowledge of Jewish history, culture, and traditions to develop docent content materials for permanent exhibition tours and offer general docent training sessions
- Experience welcoming diverse audiences to museums and working with frontline volunteers and staff on doing so
- Successful experience providing effective customer service training
- Excellent attention to detail, the ability to solve problems with flexibility in a changing environment, and demonstrated effectiveness cultivating teamwork to achieve goals
- Understanding of and ability to convey the Skirball’s mission and guide others in doing so
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter by e-mail, FAX, or mail to:
Re: Head of Visitor Experience
Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
FAX: (310) 440-4595