The Broad Stage
About The Broad Stage:
The Broad Stage is an industry-leading performing arts producer and presenter located on Los Angeles’ Westside, providing a platform for the world’s most compelling artists working in theatre, dance, music, and multidisciplinary artforms. Building upon our first decade, the organization is rising to meet a rapidly evolving set of needs for artists, audiences, community, and campus, with the aim to advance our role as an invaluable cultural resource and artistic ambassador for greater Los Angeles.
The Front of House team is a critical component of upholding the values of creativity, learning, and belonging at The Broad Stage. This team’s focus is primarily the patron’s in-person experience -- from pre-show to post-show. Under the supervision of the Senior Operations Manager, the House Manager, guides and executes the organization’s customer service strategy while upholding our unending mission to provide and ensure that all patrons of The Broad Stage are provided a theatre experience that is safe, inclusive, and enjoyable. In addition, the House Manager supports the Operations Team in managing the day-to-day operations of The Broad Stage.
- Lead the recruitment, scheduling, training, and supervision of ushers and volunteers
- Maintain presentation and functionality of the theater and publicly used spaces; this Includes the cleanliness of the theater, assisting with scheduling work orders, coordinating parking staff, etc.
- With input from the Production Department, participate in pre-production planning to make sure the FOH needs for each show are researched, planned, and executed
- Manage and maintain the FOH supplies inventory; repair equipment and/or order supplies as necessary
- Oversee the seating of patrons and coordinate with the Box Office to resolve any seating issues that may arise
- Guide Front of House operations during performances, ensuring a high level of service is maintained in all patron interactions
- Ensure patron satisfaction and courteous service at all events, resolving any problems and issues as they arise
- Monitor patrons during performances and address issues of audience behavior, safety, and comfort
- Provide support to Concessions and Director’s Lounge staff to ensure donor and patron needs are met
- Maintain communication with Production and Santa Monica College staff to coordinate the start of performances and the end of intermission
- Coordinate sale, proper accounting, and reconciliation for artist merchandise
- Produce and disseminate Front of House reports after each performance
- Follow emergency procedures and assist in medical emergencies when necessary
- Establish volunteer program policies and procedures
- Seek innovative solutions to improve systems, processes, and future planning
- Provide support to the Chief Operating Officer and Senior Operations Manager in managing the day-to-day operations of The Broad Stage
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigration status
- Demonstrated experience leading, managing, supervising, training, and motivating a team; preferably in a theatre setting
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to resolve issues efficiently and effectively for all patrons, frequently in a time-sensitive environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including in person, over the phone, and via email
- Working knowledge of nonprofit, performing arts organizations and their various constituent relationships, interactions, and transactions
- Experience in Microsoft Office products and Salesforce/Patron Manager preferred
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, reflective of the dynamic schedule of the theater
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in arts administration, performance, or art-related field; Formal, informal, and cross-disciplinary experiences will be considered
- Experience coordinating volunteers preferred
- Knowledgeable in ADA standards requirements for performance spaces
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; The employee must be able to stand for long periods of time; the employee may have to climb one or more flights of stairs, as well as move about on the upper levels of the theater
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include seeing in the dark with use of flashlight, close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment can be quiet to very noisy
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and will lift and/or move up to 40 pounds
This is a full-time position, with scheduling that regularly includes nights and weekends.
Compensation: $50,000/year, Full-time/Exempt
How to Apply:
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Please include “House Manager” in the subject line of the email by August 31.
At The Broad Stage, we believe that the performing arts are a source of joy, nourishment and connection, and that art flourishes when we all cooperate to create a space for it. The Broad Stage recognizes that the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, access, justice and respect must be fundamental to our work, and it is the responsibility of our staff, artists and patrons to create a welcoming environment for all. We take pride in the culture we are cultivating within our organization, as we celebrate the differences that bring us closer together.
The Broad Stage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants for employment will have full and equal access to employment opportunities.