East West Players
Los Angeles, CA
Program/Department: Front of House
Direct Report: Audience Services Manager
Position: House Manager
Hours: up to approx. 20 hours/week, Thursdays - Sundays
East West Players (EWP) is a non-profit organization with a mission of producing artistic works and educational programs that foster dialogue exploring Asian Pacific experiences.
EWP seeks a House Manager (HM) for our next production MAMMA MIA! The HM is responsible for the operation of the East West Players’ David Henry Hwang Theater Front of House areas (lobby, theater, concessions, and other public areas). This position encompasses managing volunteer ushers and patrons during assigned activities including performances, ceremonies and productions. Maintaining a customer-friendly Front of House is essential to EWP’s operations.
House Manager shifts are: Thursdays - Saturdays, 6:30 – 11 PM and Saturdays & Sundays, 12:30 - 5 PM from May 9 through June 9, 2019, with the possibility of extending the run. Paid training prior to these dates is required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and ensure the smooth operation of the Front of House.
- Ensure the safety of patrons, volunteers, and staff through the proper implementation and enforcement of emergency procedures.
- Train Volunteer Ushers on their duties including emergency procedures, program dispensing, ushering, ticket-taking, concessions, survey retrieval, and clean-up.
- Prepare & distribute HM nightly reports including stub counts, lost and found, concessions tallies/stock, and patron feedback.
- Coordinate with Box Office Assoc. and Stage Manager, helping to ensure the performance begins on time.
- Report and follow through on any malfunctions and safety concerns in the lobby and theater to Audience Services Manager and/or Production Manager.
- Maintain a clean House Manager Supply Closet, concessions stock & monies, and monitor lost and found for East West Players.
- Work with Box Office Assoc. and Stage Manager, helping to ensure the performance begins on time.
- Trouble-shoot any seating or customer service issues.
- Maintain current knowledge of EWP, the shows, and the Little Tokyo neighborhood.
- Ensure adequate advertising through display unit, brochures and flyers in lobby for upcoming events in coordination with Audience Services Manager & PR | Marketing Department.
- Maintain a clean House Manager Supply Closet and monitor lost and found for East West Players
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have excellent speaking and writing skills
- Experience with volunteers and practical knowledge of theatre environment is essential
- First Aid training and CPR a plus
- Experience in customer service demonstrating interpersonal skills, even temperament, ability to supervise effectively
- Experience making quick decisions in high-pressure and time-sensitive situations
- Pleasant, welcoming, and friendly demeanor
To Apply (date posted 4/4/19):
Send resume, cover letter, and availability for work during May 9 – June 9, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make the subject line of your email “House Manager MAMMA MIA!” No phone calls please. Candidates are encouraged to apply before Monday, April 15, 2019.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
EWP provides all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.