Skirball Cultural Center
Los Angeles, CA
Through funding provided by the Los Angeles County Arts Commission Internship Program, the Programs department of the Skirball Cultural Center offers one summer internship for undergraduate students. The internship position requires completion of 400 hours of work over a ten-week period, which will consist of a 40hr/week work schedule beginning June 17, 2019 through August 23, 2019. Stipend is $530 per week.
This internship is sponsored by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission. 179 undergraduate interns will participate in the program this year at 127 performing, presenting, and literary nonprofit arts organizations and municipal arts agencies throughout LA County. 2019 Arts Internship positions are open to currently enrolled undergraduate (2- or 4-year) college students who reside or attend college in Los Angeles County. Students must have completed at least one semester of college by June 1, 2019, or will complete their undergraduate degree between May 1 – September 1, 2019 in order to participate. Students must be able to legally work in the United States.
In addition to their full-time ten-week paid internship, interns will participate in educational events as part of the program, which is funded by the Getty Foundation. The educational events are designed to provide interns with a broader perspective of the vibrant arts and cultural landscape of the County. For additional information on the Los Angeles County Arts Commission, the Arts Internship Program, and for a complete list of all the internships offered this summer, visit the Arts Commission website at www.lacountyarts.org.
The Programs summer internship provides hands-on experience in live arts programming via the Skirball’s annual outdoor Sunset Concerts series. It will require the Programs Intern to become familiar with the series as well as the greater mission of the Skirball, and will allow for regular collaboration with various departments at the Skirball. Internship will provide opportunities to:
- Coordinate with artists, vendors, and various Skirball staff to help produce Sunset Concerts series.
- Participate in weekly department staff meetings and marketing meetings as well as regular concert planning meetings.
- Manage guest, artist comps, and parking lists.
- Research and create informational booklets for international and out-of-state artists.
- Assist with guest & VIP check-in and interacting with the public to provide a positive experience for all.
- Assist with merchandise sales and revenue reporting.
- Develop and prepare handouts, signs, and program notes.
- Assist Production Manager in the various event planning and setup needs for events including floor plan design, budget reporting, and AV setup when needed.
- In addition to the summer concert series, intern will also be required to provide onsite event support to a range of daytime and evening programs (such as book talks, film screenings, etc.) throughout the summer.
- Candidates should be motivated, organized, and adaptable to working in a fast-paced creative environment.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, database experience, internet research, and accurate typing) are required.
- Availability for event coverage during the entire summer concert series in July and August, Thursday Evenings, July 18–August 22. Weekday work hours will be adjusted accordingly for time spent working programs.
- A passion for the arts and previous event production experience is preferred but not required.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to the e-mail address below no later than April 15. The cover letter should describe your talents and skills, explain how the internship experience might impact your long-range academic and career goals, and discuss why you feel you are the best candidate. Please also include your school year, degree pursued, and availability from mid-June to the end of August. Finalists will be asked to provide references.
Re: Programs Summer Intern
Skirball Cultural Center