May 22, 2023
THE VILCEK FOUNDATION
The Vilcek Foundation will award three Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise of $50,000 each to young, immigrant designers who demonstrate outstanding early achievement in design. Apply here by 6/12/2023.
Who Should Apply
- You were born outside the United States to non-American parents
- You are not more than 38 years old
- You have 5 years of professional experience in design and possess a strong track record of creative and high-caliber work
Why Should You Apply
- Unrestricted cash prize of $50,000 is awarded to each prizewinner
- Reflect on how your experience as an immigrant has shaped your success
- Receive an invaluable endorsement from leaders in your field
- Receive a comprehensive public relations campaign to promote you and your work
- Digital design: experience design, game design, information design/data visualization, interaction design, software design, systems design, etc.
- Graphic design: branding, communication design, identity, packaging design, etc.
- Product design: furniture design, industrial design, lighting design, materials design, transportation design, etc.
- Social design: ecological design, equitable design, inclusive design, service design, sustainable design, etc.
Application and Selection Process
- Complete the application process. You will be required to:
- Provide personal information.
- Upload a PDF with documentation of your valid immigration status and your date of birth.
- Provide URL links to your portfolio of 3 to 5 projects, not to exceed 2 pages per project.
- Upload a PDF of your CV with a complete list of design projects, education and training, current and past affiliations, awards and recognitions.
- Provide up to 5 press clippings about your work.
- Complete 3 essay questions:
- Please describe your most important projects. We are interested in learning about the intention behind each of those projects, your artistic foundations, and creative approaches you developed based on your personal or professional path. (2,000 characters maximum including spaces)
- What do you hope to achieve through your work and how do you think it contributes to the development of design as an art form and unique field of knowledge and practice? (2,000 characters maximum including spaces)
- Describe the circumstances of your immigration to the United States and how your experience as an immigrant informs and enriches your approach to design. (1,500 characters maximum including spaces)
- Provide the names and contact information of 2 references.
- Sign an age exception self-attestation if you were born between January 1, 1983, and December 31, 1984.
- Submit a completed application by Monday, June 12, 2023, 5:00 pm ET.
- A panel of distinguished jurors—experts in the design community—will evaluate applications based on the applicant’s contributions to the field of design, as demonstrated by their essays, portfolio and references. The Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise will honor creative design professionals whose work showcases high caliber and commitment to the field.
- Recommendations of the jury will be submitted to the Vilcek Foundation’s Board of Directors for final approval. All three winners will be considered equal in standing.
- The winners of the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Design will be notified in September 2023. Prizewinners will be invited to attend the Vilcek Foundation’s prizewinner event in New York City in the spring of 2024. Travel expenses and accommodations will be covered by the foundation.