Hollyhock House/City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs
Los Angeles, CA
Arts Associate (Assistant Visitor Services Manager), Hollyhock House
Part-Time (up to 20 hours per week)
Pay Rate: $27.52 per hour
Hollyhock House is a historic house museum and Los Angeles’ first-and-only UNESCO World Heritage site. Located at 4800 Hollywood Boulevard in Barnsdall Park, it is operated by the City of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs.
Reporting to the Arts Manager, the part-time Arts Associate (Assistant Visitor Services Manager) works closely with the full-time Arts Associate (Visitor Services Manager) to coordinate Hollyhock House’s visitor services and tour program. The Assistant Visitor Services Manager is a key point of contact for public program information and management of the volunteer docents and part-time program staff. This position is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of procedures and materials to ensure efficient and effective execution of the site’s public programs.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinates general museum reception for the public, special guests, and groups in a cheerful,
- Ensures a positive and safe experience for all Hollyhock House visitors, fostering access and
- Serves as front-of-house lead and provides coverage for House Managers/Gallery Attendants
during breaks and as needed
- Provides and maintains accurate information about programs and services
- Processes admissions and monitors online ticketing data
- Communicates program information to visitors and the general public, responding to inquires quickly and accurately
- Assists in managing tour program operations and is attentive to and responds to security and emergency issues
- Assists in recruiting, supervision, and scheduling volunteers and part-time program staff and coordinating the initial training and continued education for both
- Coordinates public programs and special events, including set up/take down as required
- Accurately captures data for internal and external program reporting
- Assists with administrative tasks as needed: mail pick up and processing, organizing house/tour supplies, maintaining forms, supply sourcing and ordering, correspondence, and updates to
printed and digital materials
- Maintains a clean, professional, front-line work environment
- Works effectively as part of a team
- Regularly works one weekend day as well as occasional evenings as required to supervise tour programs and special events
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in Arts (design, literary, media/communication, performing, and/or visual), Cultural Studies, Literature, English, Art History, Art Administration, or a closely related field; OR
- An associate of arts degree from an accredited two-year college with a major in Arts (design, literary, media/communication, performing, and/or visual), Cultural Studies, Literature, English, Art History, Art Administration, or a closely related field, including completion of 9 semester units or 14 quarter units in the fields listed; AND two years of full-time paid experience within the last ten years in assisting and coordinating a program in an organization responsible for fine
arts, public art, or cultural programs and activities; OR
- Four years of full-time paid experience within the last ten years in assisting and coordinating a program in an organization responsible for fine arts, public art, or cultural programs and activities.
In accordance with Los Angeles City Ordinance 187134, candidates must meet the minimum requirement of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or receive an exemption and report their vaccination status prior to being hired by the hiring City department. The ordinance is available here
The ideal candidate has:
- At least three years of relevant experience
- Experience in the field of cultural tourism
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Knowledge of Frank Lloyd Wright is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and POS (Point of Sale) platforms
- California Driver’s License is required
Regularly works one weekend day. Occasional nights and full weekend (Saturday & Sunday) coverage as programming requires; possible overtime.
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 18, 2023 with the subject: “Assistant Visitor Services Manager”.
Final selection will be based on a review of cover letter and resume, as well as an oral interview. Interviewers may also contact present and former supervisors, as well as review City Personnel files (if applicable) as part of a candidate’s evaluation.