The Peace Studio
Santa Monica, CA
Community Engagement Coordinator – Artist as Catalyst (AAC) Los Angeles
December 2023 – May 2024 (part-time temporary)
ABOUT THE PEACE STUDIO
Established in 2020, The Peace Studio (TPS) is a national non-profit (501c3) organization that develops artists and journalists who seek to inspire hope and catalyze transformative social change. At the heart of our work is the belief that artists and journalists are the ones best positioned to respond to a violent world. Their stories and work will either shape our culture towards greater justice and peace, or away from it. Since its founding, TPS has served more than 350 artists and journalists to this end, providing them with funding, tools, mentorship, and platforms to create the change they wish to see in their own communities. You can learn more at thepeacestudio.org.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Peace Studio is seeking a part-time, contracted Community Engagement Coordinator to support our forthcoming Artist as Catalyst (AAC) program in Los Angeles in May 2024. A successful applicant will be someone deeply rooted in the Los Angeles community with clear experience implementing and administering effective programs and events for artists. They will be excited by the opportunity to promote AAC LA to the broader young artist community in Los Angeles, to forge relationships with the 2024 program participants, and to play a critical role on the AAC LA program team.
The Community Engagement Coordinator will report directly to The Peace Studio’s Programs Manager, and will work in tandem with a local, part-time Program Lead. The role is an independent contractor position lasting 6 months.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The Artist as Catalyst (AAC) Program, originally born in Miami and now making its way to LA and other communities in 2024, is an immersive, four-day experience for emerging artists living and working in the Greater Los Angeles area that are interested in making a positive social impact with their art. 40 young Catalysts, between the ages of 18-26, are selected each year to partake in studio classes, keynote conversations, and interactive workshops on the themes of Artistry, Citizenship, and Entrepreneurship.The program benefits those young artists who are looking to build community around the questions: How do I make great art, make a living, and make a difference?
The program is to be held in Santa Monica, CA near Ocean Avenue. More details on our hosting partner will be announced in November. All four days of programming will be free of charge to all participants.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all AAC program participants
- Serve as logistical lead for all AAC third party vendors, including organizing meals and ground transportation, and purchasing key program materials
- In collaboration with the Program Lead, provide administrative support for each AAC Program Presenter
- Assist the Program Lead in application outreach strategy and program promotion
- Design, distribute, and archive all relevant paperwork (i.e. photo / video release forms, welcome packets, etc.)
- Oversee the creation and dissemination of all program information to AAC program participants
- Assure that all accessibility accommodations are met to the best of TPS’s abilities
- Participate in the selection of and directly supervise a Community Engagement Intern
- Must reside in Los Angeles, CA
- 2-3 years of experience doing community engagement work
- Proven ongoing engagement within the LA arts community
- Proficiency in G-suite, particularly Google Docs and Google Sheets
- Comfortable with social media platforms particularly Instagram
- Program facilitation experience
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Graphic design experience (at minimum, experience working with Canva)
COMPENSATION AND TIME COMMITMENT
This is an independent contractor position with total project fee between $10,000 and $12,500 based on experience
You will need to be available full-time for the duration of the Artist as Catalyst program itself, which is likely to be held May 22-25, 2024.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested candidates should submit a resume and a short cover letter here expressing their interest in the role no later than Friday, November 10.