MashUp Contemporary Dance Company
Los Angeles, CA
MashUp Contemporary Dance Company is seeking a part-time Creative Producer to oversee the execution of its Creative Council’s artistic vision in day-to-day programmatic operations.
An organized and experienced creative professional, passionate about building community within LA’s dance ecosystem, with strengths in producing, marketing, and creative leadership, this role will manage MashUp’s core programs; manage marketing and company branding; serve as liaison between Creative Council, Company Dancers, and Guest Artists; supervise company dancers; and collaborate closely with MashUp’s Managing Director to ensure artistic priorities are met in overall organizational operations.
We are looking for someone who, in addition to having the skills to execute the responsibilities below, has a keen eye for detail and design (graphic design experience a plus), strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent problem-solving abilities with a proactive approach to addressing challenges; experience with dance in some capacity; a willingness to come alongside and champion others’ artistic visions; and who enjoys a mix of independent and collaborative team work. It is also important that this individual be able to embrace MashUp’s values for empowerment, creativity,community, diversity, and innovation, and clearly articulate meaning found in MashUp’s mission to uplift womxn artists and build community through dance.
Specific responsibilities include:
Artistic Programs Oversight – Oversee all MashUp core programs, ensuring priorities are met and long-term strategic goals are achieved:
- Serve as Executive Producer for the International Women’s Day Dance Festival, annual National Women’s Equality Day project, Choreographic Residency, and other performances and artistic projects as funding allows.
- Serve as producer/program manager and staff for Choreography Open Mic Night, Company Classes, Intensives, and Auditions.
- Work with Managing Director to identify and contract all necessary project personnel.
- Track expenditures to ensure all projects are executed within the allotted budget, in
collaboration with the Managing Director.
Creative Direction, Vision, and Company Branding:
- Responsible for ensuring MashUp’s brand aligns with the Creative Council’s vision by helping gather and produce visual assets for use on social media and any other outlets needed by the larger administrative team; regularly prepare and review marketing materials.
- Ensure overarching company tone, image, and brand style across all communication channels matches style guide.
- Hire and manage graphic design, photographer, and videographer contractors to support marketing and documentation needs.
- Set marketing calendar deadlines.
- Oversee social media strategy and email newsletter communications via Mailchimp.
- Expand MashUp’s press list and ongoing PR strategy
- Support Managing Director by providing artistic details for inclusion in grant applications, assisting with grant reports as needed, and providing marketing support for fundraising initiatives and events.
- Manage website updates and ticketing/registration page set-ups.
- Project manage the annual company photoshoot.
- Supervise any program/marketing/engagement interns.
- Supervise MashUp company dancers, conducting project one-on-one check-ins and overseeing
annual performance reviews.
- Manage artistic calendars and schedules (artistic production meetings, Creative Council
meetings, rehearsals, classes, production schedules etc.)
- Serve as liaison between Creative Council, Dancers, and any commissioned/ guest artists.
- Oversee organization and maintenance of MashUp costume/prop storage, merchandise, and other artistic or marketing-related inventory.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization’s mission.
- Alongside Creative Council and Managing Director, network and advocate on behalf of MashUp within the local dance community and the broader Los Angeles area.
- Attend workshops and professional development opportunities on behalf of the company.
- Maintain an organized presence/files at Frogtown Creative Studios.
- As a member of a small staff team, willingness to take on other organizational tasks and responsibilities as needed in collaboration with the Co-Executive Officers and Managing Director.
Schedule – appx. 20 hours per week (with understanding it will fluctuate somewhat throughout the year depending on program and event scheduling):
- In-person presence at all rehearsals (0-12 hours/week depending on time of year)
- Onsite work coordinated to match Managing Director at least 4 hours/week (can overlap rehearsals) and presence at weekly staff meeting with Managing Director and bi-weekly meeting with Founders (1-2 hours/week)
- Additional 2-12 hours of remote admin/planning work each week
Benefits: 80 hours of combined PTO/Sick time per calendar year. 13 Paid holidays/year paid as half days (4 hours).
Salary: Negotiable between $25-32/hour (appx $25,000-$32,000/year)
Application Process — Please submit a cover letter, resume, and multiple marketing samples (i.e. eblast you wrote and designed, social media calendar, a website you designed, etc) to:
firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31, 2023.
Company Description —Founded in 2010 by Victoria Brown and Sarah Rodenhouse, MashUp
Contemporary Dance Company’s mission is to uplift female-identifying artists and build community through contemporary dance, prioritizing innovation, collaboration, and inclusion in its dedication to the movement of female bodies and feminist ideas.
Leading with core values of empowerment, creativity, community, diversity, and innovation, MashUp is steadfastly committed to supporting female-identifying artists, sparking conversation around inclusive, intersectional feminist ideologies, democratizing creative leadership, producing innovative and exciting dance performances and new works, and working towards a more equitable, inclusive future – where more voices have the resources to grow and the opportunity to be heard – for the dance industry and beyond.
Company Website here
Contact Sherisa Oie at email@example.com with any questions.