Leimert Park/South Los Angeles, CA
Reports to: Community Arts Program Director
Status: Part-time or Full-time hourly, 20-40 hours/week
Terms: $20-$24/hour, commensurate with experience
Priority Deadline: November 1st, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
About LA Commons:
We engage communities in the creation of art for public spaces that tells their unique stories and serves as the basis for dialogue, interaction and a better understanding of Los Angeles. Through collaboration with local partners who have built deep wells of trust, we leverage art and cultural approaches to create positive change.
Since 2002, we have worked with over 1,000 artists, trained and mentored over 3,000 youth artists, and engaged over 35,000 community members in collaboration with scores of partners in neighborhoods across Los Angeles County. Headquartered in Leimert Park, we are committed to investing in resilient networks of youth, artists and community partners in Central and South Los Angeles.
The Cultural Organizer will work as a member of the LA Commons team under the direction of the Community Arts Program Director. The organizer will serve a key role in administration, facilitation and support of the work of LA Commons Community Arts projects in South Los Angeles. This position requires availability Monday through Friday 10am – 3pm, and Saturdays in May and June.
- Executing community organizing in alignment with outreach plans for Leimert Park Healthy Culture Hub. Can include conducting on the ground outreach and communication with community members, as well as via text/call.
- Assist in organizing the story gatherings, celebrations and other program events related to the various projects.
- Maintain shared checklists and ensure timely completion of event related tasks including generation of contact lists for venues and event service providers, programs, sign-in lists and signage; and, acquisition of food and needed event equipment.
- Outreach for youth and community participants
- Maintain ongoing communications with neighborhood stakeholders and partner organizations; track communication, meeting notes and attendance records
- Site host for community workshops on Saturdays, May-June
- Create slideshows, design and prepare work samples and certificates, organize information for youth and/or adult community meetings, artist selection panels, and project specific needs
- Research, prepare, and coordinate orders and deliveries of project supplies and youth arts packets
- Attend Community Arts Team meetings or workshops when appropriate;
- Communicate effectively with LA Commons staff, artists and youth participants
- Provide additional programmatic support as needed.
Skills, Knowledge, or Other Requirements:
- Strong connection to and understanding of Los Angeles neighborhoods; connections to our primary service neighborhoods in South Los Angeles such as Leimert Park and Hyde Park a plus
- Outstanding English written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Google suite, Microsoft Office, or similar business software
- Strong experience in community organizing, base building and outreach in-person and in virtual settings.
- Strong sense of professionalism and commitment to collaborative work
- Ability to take initiative
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills; ability to manage an unpredictable workflow and flexibility to respond thoughtfully and quickly.
- Interest and experience in arts and culture work
- Interest in community arts as an avenue for sharing stories, building community and creating opportunities for youth artists to share their talents and further develop their artistic and leadership skills
- Interest and experience in youth leadership development
- Must have valid CA driver’s license and personal vehicle insurance.
- Flexibility to work weekend and evening hours in alignment with scheduled programs.
Salary: $20-$24/hour, commensurate with experience
Benefits: PTO, medical, vision, dental insurance eligible
To Apply, please visit here to complete an online application
4343 Leimert Park Blvd. Los Angeles 90008
LA Commons is a fiscally sponsored project of Community Partners, an Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disability/veteran.
To apply, please visit here to complete an online application