Los Angeles, CA
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, the Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four divisions: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts, the Colburn Music Academy and the Colburn Dance Academy. Launched in the fall of 2017, Colburn’s Center for Innovation and Community Impact empowers the musical and dance leaders of tomorrow by equipping them with the tools needed to build creative careers that are sustainable and relevant in our rapidly shifting cultural landscape.
The Colburn School’s mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
Reporting to the Provost, the Director, Music Academy and Special Programs oversees Colburn’s world-class, pre-college Music Academy, dedicated to supporting the training and development in Classical Music of emerging young musicians from around the world. The Director provides the vision and strategy for the program and manages day to day activities, ensuring program continuity that deepens the educational experience students receive. The Director will work closely with the other Units of the institution (Community School, Trudl Zipper Dance Institute, Conservatory) to ensure alignment of programmatic activity. The Director also will oversee a suite of special programs for the institution, including summer programs, conferences, and workshops that advance the mission of the school.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead the Music Academy, a program consisting of approximately 50 elite musicians from around the world. Students in the Music Academy meet on Tuesdays and Saturdays for over 10+ hours of instruction a week in chamber music, large ensemble work, music theory, music history, movement, piano, as well as private instruction. Responsibilities include overall program administration, regular and professional interaction with faculty, staff, and administration to ensure programmatic success; enrollment management; expense oversight and grant reporting, in partnership with the Philanthropy office; and scholarship planning.
- Lead Special Programs at Colburn, a suite of programs and activities that sit outside the core offerings of the institution and largely occur during the Summer. Duties: create an overall strategy for special programs at Colburn that includes a philosophy for earned revenue and reputation building; In partnership with the production team, set the schedule and scaffolding for programs on a three-year basis; engage and deploy faculty and staff to run internal summer programs; work with external clients who seek to rent the facilities to ensure a proper connection between the client and the internal Colburn team.
- Work with the other Units of the institution to ensure programmatic alignment at the institution.
- Work closely with the school’s Philanthropy team to help raise and steward funds in support of the Music Academy.
- Oversee the manager of the Music Academy, approximately 20 faculty dedicated to carrying out established programming.
- Work with the Provost to build a strategic plan for the Music Academy that ties unit activities to the rest of the programmatic activity at the institution.
- Represent Colburn at appropriate events and opportunities, including conferences, donor and civic events.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan, develop, and execute pre-college music programming.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably with an emphasis in music performance and/or music education;
- At least seven years’ experience working with pre-college students in a performing arts setting.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a very diverse environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Excellent benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan with a generous employer matching contribution and more!!!
$100,000 to $120,000 per year depending on background and experience
Apply Online here by November 30, 2023