Los Angeles, CA
Located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles, the Colburn School is an internationally recognized leader in performing arts education and is part of the fabric of the Los Angeles cultural community. With a world-renowned faculty, Colburn trains local and international students in four divisions: the Colburn Conservatory of Music, the Colburn Community School of Performing Arts, the Colburn Music Academy and the Colburn Dance Academy. Launched in the fall of 2017, Colburn’s Center for Innovation and Community Impact empowers the musical and dance leaders of tomorrow by equipping them with the tools needed to build creative careers that are sustainable and relevant in our rapidly shifting cultural landscape.
The Colburn School’s mission is to provide the highest quality performing arts education at all levels of development in an optimal learning environment.
Position Summary: The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for managing and supporting a wide variety of activities in human resources including benefits administration, onboarding, maintenance of employee files and records, job postings, leave administration, worker’s compensation administration, interpretation of HR policies, compilation of reports and data. This position is also responsible for creating faculty contracts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages onboarding and new hire/benefit orientation program including completion of all required documents, set up in the payroll system (UKG), benefit orientation, completion of I-9, explanation of policies in employee handbook, arrangement for equipment, network access, ID badge, etc. Enrolls new employees in benefit plans.
• Maintain the HR portion of HRIS (UKG); input/update employee data relative to new employment, terminations, status changes, and benefits in a timely, accurate manner; compile regular and special reports as needed. Interfaces closely with payroll, including informing payroll of new hires, terminations, status changes, benefit changes, leaves of absence, etc.
• Perform benefits administration, including group insurance and retirement plans; enroll new employees and processes updates and changes; approve and reconcile invoices for payment and communicate benefits information to employees; participates in annual open enrollment activities including preparation of benefit guide; respond to employee benefit questions and provide information and assistance with claims issues.
• Administer and monitor all leaves of absence in compliance with federal and state regulations and Colburn policies; maintain communication with employees on leave; work with supervisors to coordinate employees return to work as scheduled.
• Support recruitment process for faculty and staff; ensure job descriptions are current prior to posting; posts positions on recruiting website; makes job offers and arranges for background check, reference check and, as required, verification of degrees earned. May assist with interview process.
• Advise both managers and employees on day-to-day policy and Colburn practices questions; monitor steps taken in progressive discipline cases; and may participate in investigations of employee complaints.
• Initiate, draft and distribute all faculty contracts, full and part time.
• Participate in organization-wide initiatives focused on wellness, training, health and safety, culture, and communications.
• Maintain a working knowledge of HR laws and regulations that impact the Colburn School; advise management when changes are needed to policies or practices; assists with update of employee handbooks; draft documents relating to policies, procedures, and general employee communications.
• Participate in planning and organizing events for employees.
• Develop and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with all employees; ensure new employees are integrated into the organization.
• Facilitate harassment/bullying prevention and other training for new and existing employees and supervisors; maintain vendor relationship.
• Administer workers compensation claims, authorize treatment, and provide compliance information to injured employees; keep supervisors abreast of applicable restrictions.
• Compiles data and prepares reports.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
• A combination of at least 5 to 7 years of experience, training, and education in a variety of disciplines in human resources that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
• Knowledge of HR and employment laws that is typically obtained from a certificate programs, online course work, or a degree in human resources management.
• Working knowledge of workers’ compensation laws and reporting requirements
• Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality regarding employee information
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including problem resolution skills.
• Personal computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, as well as database programs and/or specific HRIS experience (UKG preferred)
• Demonstrated attention to detail and excellent analytical skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse employee groups and departments
• Knowledge of HRIS and Payroll system, UKG preferred.
• Willingness to be a continual learner to stay abreast of changing employment laws and guidelines.