This position is primarily responsible for: overseeing the safe handling and packing of all artwork; coordinating the safe transportation of artworks to and from clients, museums, galleries, artist studios, vendors etc.; and communicating effectively between internal departments as well as external parties.
This position requires demonstrated knowledge of current professional registration and fine art shipping standards and best practices.
The Registrar will work collaboratively with our Los Angeles and New York Registration, Sales and Operations departments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
– Organize and coordinate all logistics for Karma LA gallery exhibitions, private – viewings, specific art fairs, and other special projects.
– Work closely with the Head Preparator to maintain best practices of artwork storage and handling, extending to conservation and insurance.
– Manage the safe packing and transport of artwork to and from artists, museums, galleries, clients, and storage facilities
– Conduct condition inspections and reports for all incoming and outgoing works for the LA gallery.
– Draft, execute, and track loans, consignments, and agreements; Certificates of Authenticity, manuals, and installation documents
– Organize framing, crating, artwork production, conservation with artists and vendors for specific regional artists
– Arrange shipping for selected fairs (including shipments from the New York, and LA galleries), along with coordinating with the registration team on receiving shipments directly from artists, other galleries, and consignors).
– Obtain shipping estimates; generate packing lists, pro forma invoices, and related customs documents.
– Coordinate post-sale client shipping with shippers, acting as liaison between sales team, shippers, and clients
– Work with shipping agents to meet international customs regulations; inform the sales team of tax and customs implications during art fairs as needed.
– Compile, process, and manage records of associated shipping paperwork in accordance with California Sales Tax requirements.
– Conduct periodic physical inventory of all internal and external storage locations.
BA in Art History, Administration, Studio Arts or related field, preferred
3-5 years experience in a museum, gallery, art institution or fine art logistics company.
Experience with domestic (local LA) and international fine art shipping and logistics.
Ability to collaborate with multiple departments within the organization in a fast paced environment.
Familiarity with various mediums of artwork; working knowledge of framing a plus.
Familiarity with database systems such as Arternal or comparable database systems is a plus.
Proficiency with Adobe suite and Google Drive.
To apply, please email a brief cover letter and resume to Jillian@karmakarma.org with subject line: Los Angeles Registrar Application Materials by August 15, 2023.