The Broad Museum
Los Angeles, CA
Retail Floor Supervisor
The Broad is home to 2,000 works by more than 200 artists and is one of the world’s leading collections of postwar and contemporary art. The museum’s mission is to make contemporary art accessible to the widest possible audience, and The Shop at The Broad supports the ongoing operational and programming efforts of the museum. We want all visitors, from first-time museumgoers to seasoned art aficionados, to feel appreciated and welcome as they peruse our unique space which celebrates the artists in the Broads’ collections. Our focus is to create a highly individualized retail experience for each of our visitors in a unique world-class shopping destination.
HOW YOU FIT IN
As the Retail Floor Supervisor, you will lead our Sales and Service Team with the Associate Director and Floor Supervisor and set the standard for excellence in our distinctive venue. We strive to create a warm, engaging, and professional environment unparalleled in our industry while consistently maintaining a space that is clean, organized, and neat, which we refer to as WEPCON expectations. You will embody our established WEPCON standards and be responsible for finding new and inventive ways to create and deliver these important foundational expectations. From curating personal shopping experiences to sharing knowledge about the collections and architecture, to finding innovative ways to lead the team in surprising and delighting our visitors every day, you will represent the museum’s mission and create unique interpersonal connections for our guests.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We strive to create a warm, engaging, and professional environment unparalleled in our industry while consistently maintaining a space that is clean, organized, and neat, which we refer to as WEPCON expectations. The Retail Floor Supervisor will assist in a variety of initiatives to support our ongoing and varied business needs. In addition to training the team in retail-specific areas, you will assist in the cross-training of our staff in other museum areas including visitor orientation, in-gallery experience, and safety and security, to provide the best possible visitor experience at the museum.
- Assist the Associate Director in meeting and exceeding daily sales plans and target metrics.
- Lead by example, using WEPCON as a cornerstone for all decision making.
- Create an inclusive, supportive, and focused environment for the team.
- Assist in supervisions of the Sales and Service team and delegate and follow up on assigned duties.
- Ensure consistent execution of store’s WEPCON, merchandising, and operational standards.
- Assist in teaching product knowledge and train the team to drive Sales through Service
- Maintain daily compliance with all policies and procedures and report concerns to senior management.
- Open and close registers and ensures daily operational compliance.
- Manage stock levels, complete bi-yearly stock inventory count, and maintain loss prevention guidelines.
- Assist in the creation of product stories and merchandise displays to create an aspirational aesthetic.
- Perform ad hoc tasks as assigned by senior management.
- Take an active role on the sales floor, ensuring all clients are greeted and engaged.
- Communicate professionally to a variety of stakeholders in the institution.
- Ensure the client experience is at the center of all decision making.
- Exhibit enthusiasm for and knowledge of the artists and artwork in the collection
- Create a dynamic and engaging experience and share information about the artists and our products.
- Utilize clienteling techniques to develop repeat clients with data on preferences and purchase history.
- Attain individual daily, weekly, and monthly sales goals.
- Perform all POS related activities to facilitate accurate and efficient transactional flow.
- Break down shipments, ticket and organize merchandise.
- Replenish, organize, and clean floor fixtures daily.
- Adhere to all established loss prevention and operational policies and procedures.
- Be an ambassador of the museum, sharing information about the collection and the building.
- Enforce security and safety procedures in all public spaces of the museum.
- Explain new museum guidelines and protocols to all visitors of The Shop
- Stay abreast of and follow all policies and procedures.
- Assist with all opening and closing duties and other duties as assigned.
- Complete all required ongoing training, including but not limited to health and security, audience engagement and collection, visitor orientation, and product information.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A passion for people, museums, and contemporary art
- Excellent presentation & communication skills
- Confidence in selling & providing a high standard of customer service
- Proven track record of working toward individual & group sales targets
- Experience building long-lasting relationships with clients
- Experience managing a team and analyzing figures
- Ability to inspire and lead a team
- Previous retail management experience in luxury, art, and design/hospitality environments preferred
- High school diploma required; relevant coursework from an accredited college or university preferred
- Foreign language skills are a plus
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Identify and positively resolve staff and visitor issues in the moment
- Strong decision-making skills necessary
- Must be able to work and day of the week, holidays, exhibition openings, and late-night special events
- Working knowledge of information technology and business software applications
- Effective and persuasive verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to professionally present information to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR MUSEUM STAFF
- Approach work with integrity and honesty
- Support and demonstrate the museum’s culture of developing a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible environment for staff and visitors.
- Demonstrate and practice sensitivity to all elements of diversity in the museum with staff, visitors, and all programs and services the museum provides.
Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull items weighing up to 50 pounds. A full range of body motion is required on the job to include frequent sitting, bending, stooping, crouching, lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
The museum is open 5 days per week initially and work schedules include weekends. Once museum capacity increases, hours and days of operation will expand.
Hourly Rate: $22.25 per hour
Employees hired into this position are eligible for the following benefits: medical, vision, dental, employee assistant program, paid vacation and holidays, sick leave, retirement, life insurance, and short- and long-term disability.
Additional benefits may include employee discount at The Shop, free parking or annual free personalized LA Metro pass or bike stipend or walk stipend, discounts at local eateries, and more.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check.
Please submit your resume and letter of interest here by November 01, 2023.
We will only contact candidates selected for further consideration. No phone inquiries, please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Broad is an equal opportunity employer, and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Los Angeles in both our staff and our visitors. It is the practice of The Broad to offer equal opportunity consistent with applicable federal and state law in all aspects of employment. All employment decisions will be made in compliance with applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, medical condition (as defined by California law and including Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), actual or perceived), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, having filed a discrimination complaint or any other status protected by applicable law. The Broad believes that by actively building a diverse workforce we can innovate, inspire, and engage with the widest possible audience.
The Broad is an Equal Opportunity Employer.