BOB BAKER MARIONETTE THEATER
Los Angeles, CA
The Bob Baker Marionette Theater is hiring a full time on-site, salaried Senior Puppet Builder in its marionette workshop. In this position we are looking for someone who is excited to help build on a decades-long foundation of exquisite design, craftsmanship, and attention to detail, while also preparing future generations of marionette artists to carry on the Theater’s rich legacy. This individual should be prepared to jump into a busy fabrication schedule and ready to be a part of our nonprofit mission. The individual who fills this position reports to the Technical Director and Head of Puppet Fabrication in the operation of the workshop and stage. This position will share direct reports with the Head of Puppet Fabrication for workshop overhire, apprentices (when applicable), and interns (when applicable).
Pay: $35,000-40,000. Healthcare, Pension Contribution, Paid Vacation
– Construction of new puppets, props, and scenery for use in BBMT mainstage/touring
productions and special projects.
– Repair and restoration of puppets and scenery.
– Manage the maintenance, safety, and organization of the workshop.
– Assist in tool maintenance in the workshop.
– Maintain physical and digital (Adobe, Google Suite) show and build documentation for the workshop.
– Work within assigned timelines and budgets for each project.
– Assist in the upkeep and arrangement of the collection storage.
– Assist in research, purchasing, and inventorying of materials.
– Manage overhire fabricators.
– Training and working with volunteers and apprentices in workshop tasks and skill
– Minor facility maintenance as necessary.
– Knowledge of workshop, stage, and tool safety.
– Minimum 2-3 years of theater, film, or other professional fabrication experience.
– Strong attention to detail.
– Experience working with a variety of materials and tools.
– Strong organizational and planning skills.
– Enthusiasm and a generosity of spirit.
– Drivers license is preferred.
A preferred candidate for this position would have experience and construction experience with a variety of puppet styles, including marionettes, hand/rod, Bunraku, etc. Preference is to hire an individual proficient in a subset of the following skills but who is also excited to become proficient in each additional skill through in-house training.
– Woodworking and Joinery
– Sculpting (physical and/or digital)
– Mold Making
– Hand and Machine Sewing
– Painting and Finishing (Hand, Airbrush
– Basic Animation Mechanics or Jewelry Making
– Stage Rigging
– Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
– 3D Printing
– Ability to lift and carry 30lbs. regularly.
– Comfortable working on and around ladders and heights.
– Ability to stand for long periods of time.
Please send cover letter, resume, portfolio or website to: email@example.com by 4/21/23.
ABOUT BOB BAKER MARIONETTE THEATER
The Bob Baker Marionette Theater is an iconic Los Angeles institution that has served millions of children and families since 1963. Their mission is to educate, celebrate, and inspire imagination through Puppetry and the Allied Arts. With over 3,000 handcrafted puppets and a passionate and creative staff, the Theater strives to make the world as imaginative as they see it. Now in a new Highland Park home, they are actively expanding programs to reach families, adults, and their community at large.
Bob Baker Marionette Theater has been pulling the strings of family fun since 1963. As a registered 501c3 nonprofit organization, its mission is to educate, celebrate, and inspire imagination through Puppetry and the Allied Arts.
We strive to reflect the communities we serve and model the values we hope to see out in the world. Bob Baker Marionette Theater is committed to cultivating a diverse workforce and supporting an experimental and inclusive culture. We encourage applicants of all cultures, ethnicities, races, gender identities, nations of origin, ages, languages spoken, veteran’s statuses, religions, abilities, sexual orientations and beliefs. Bob Baker Marionette Theater will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Bob Baker Marionette Theater – 4949 York Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90042 www.bobbakermarionettetheater.com (213) 250-9995