Academy Museum of Motion Pictures
Los Angeles, CA
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures furthers the understanding, celebration, and preservation of cinema through inclusive and accessible exhibitions, screenings, programs, initiatives, and collections. Welcoming visitors from Los Angeles and around the world, the Museum works in active partnership with motion picture artists and specialists, scholars, staff, and diverse communities to contextualize and challenge dominant narratives around cinema, inspiring discourse, connection, joy, and discovery.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Exhibitions Installation, the Senior Specialist will focus on leading teams in preparing galleries, frames, and casework for the installation of full exhibitions. In addition, you will handle and install the artwork for exhibitions.
- Work in a team environment and abide by all health and safety protocols put in place to protect yourself and co-workers.
- Lead teams through daily schedules and installation periods.
- Learn and own scopes involving procurement and vendor relations.
- Assist the Installation Manager in scheduling and prioritizing daily team goals including gallery maintenance, collections assistance, and material preparations.
- Install and secure scenic and display elements including wall panels, platforms, display cases, pedestals, labels, and signage.
- Help the team to maintain galleries, casework, and art storage spaces.
- Aid in keeping workshop areas clean and organized.
- Use museum-quality art installation hardware, object mounts, cleats, and security hardware.
- Receive and unpack crates with care.
- Operate standard industrial woodworking equipment and power tools.
- 5+ years of art handling work at a museum, fine art handling company, gallery, or artist studio.
- Some gantry experience. Forklift certification is helpful.
- Experience as a project leader or supervisor.
- Experience moving and handling fragile, heavy works of art with great care and delicacy.
- Knowledge of basic rigging and tie-down methods for securing loads in transit.
- Experience with museum-level art handling practices; knowledge of archival materials and museum/gallery warehousing best practices.
- Experience working in an active team environment.
- General ability to read plans and elevation drawings.
- Experience or willingness to be trained on and use OSHA-approved safety equipment such as respirators and protective clothing.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
- Climbing and working on ladders.
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, squatting, bending, and lifting.
- You can lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- You can work around paints, cleansers, and other similar products in a gallery environment, and work in spaces that collect dust.
- Working on an active construction site.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is required, including any booster vaccinations as applicable.
Salary: $28-$31 per hour
Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision. PTO and Sick Time, 401(k)
To Apply please visit here with your Resume and Cover letter by October 31, 2023.