SKIRBALL CULTURAL CENTER
Los Angeles, CA
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a Store Manager of Retail Operations to lead our Sales and Service team in Audrey’s Museum Store, the satellite Noah’s Ark Store, and the online store. The Store Manager will set the standard for excellence by creating a warm, engaging, and consistently well-merchandised space by partnering with the entire department management team. The Store Manager will also assist in a variety of initiatives to support our ongoing and varied business requirements and act as the manager-on-duty for the admissions desk as needed. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Starting salary: $60,000–70,000 per year. 401(k) 401(k) matching Dental insurance Flexible spending account Health insurance Life insurance Paid time off Parental leave Retirement plan Vision insurance
- Tracks and meets daily, weekly, and monthly sales goals and targets metrics through visitor engagement.
- Assists in managing incoming and outgoing financial paperwork, mainly invoices, and ensures they are accurately entered into accounting programs.
- Ensures expenses comply with approved budgets.
- Analyzes sales and expenses for optimum profitability and to create a holistic experience for Skirball visitors.
- Performs all POS-related activities to facilitate an accurate and efficient transactional flow.
- Supervises and resolves complex customer transactions (e.g., returns) and special orders.
- Manages stock levels; completes annual stock inventory count.
- Breaks down shipments; tickets and organizes merchandise.
- Adheres to all established loss prevention and operational policies and procedures.
- Assists in the organization’s annual budgeting process.
- Learns and shares the store’s extensive Judaic content and ceremonial merchandise.
- Ensures the guest experience is at the center of all decision-making by creating a dynamic and engaging experience through the creation and maintenance of merchandise displays appropriate for temporary exhibitions, holidays, programs, and events.
- Takes an active role on the sales floor, ensuring all visitors are greeted and engaged.
- Analyzes metrics and reporting to identify trends and recommend new merchandising/sales approaches.
- Ensures consistent execution of store’s merchandising and operational standards.
- Teaches product knowledge and trains the team to drive sales through service.
- Creates product stories and merchandise displays that reflect the Skirball’s values.
- Uses techniques to develop repeat clients with data on preferences and purchase history.
- Ensures that merchandise is replenished and that the store is organized and clean on a daily basis.
- Writes copy for merchandise signage.
- Creates an inclusive, supportive, and focused environment for the retail team by performing routine supervisory and training duties.
- Manages the day-to-day supervision of Audrey’s Museum Store to ensure a high level of customer service, assuming full supervisory responsibility for the store in the absence of the Operations Manager.
- Trains, informs, motivates, and evaluates employees and volunteers.
- Maintains and updates an operations manual that sets policies and procedures; ensures compliance.
- Ensures employees and volunteers are knowledgeable in visitor satisfaction methods, store products, and retail operations.
- Provides coaching to the team for training and development.
- Fosters a collaborative and engaging environment and addresses employee concerns.
- Collaborates to execute employee retention strategies.
- Assists with employee and volunteer scheduling to always ensure adequate floor coverage with consideration for special exhibitions, holidays, programs, festivals, and private events.
- Assists with recruiting, interviewing, and hiring part-time employees.
- Acts as the manager-on-duty to support the Visitor Experience team, particularly on weekends and holidays.
- Engages with the Shopify-based website by suggesting products, creating product pages, reviewing their performance.
- Manages the fulfillment of orders.
- Assists with social media content generation and implementation.
- Writes and/or edits copy for each item.
Qualifications, Experience, and Attributes
- Experience managing and inspiring a team and resolving employee issues.
- Knowledge of retail accounting practices, in particular the concept of open-to-buy.
- Ability to professionally communicate information through oral, written, and technological methods to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, including writing copy for merchandise signage and online merchandise descriptions.
- High school diploma required; relevant coursework from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Retail sales and decision-making experience that includes providing a high level of customer service, building relationships with clients, purchasing based on customer desires, merchandising, and positively resolving customer issues in the moment.
- Understanding of how both small and large retail companies operate.
- A history of achieving sales targets.
- Experience managing an admissions desk a plus.
- Foreign language skills are a plus.
- Must be able to work any day of the week, holidays, exhibition openings, and late-night special events.
- Working knowledge of computer and business software applications, particularly the Microsoft Suite, Counterpoint POS, and Shopify.
- A passion for the Skirball’s guiding values, a work philosophy of integrity and honesty, and the desire to foster a culture of diversity and inclusiveness for employees and visitors.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull items weighing up to 30 pounds. A full range of body motion is required on the job to include frequent sitting, bending, stooping, crouching, lifting, carrying, walking, and standing.
- Will spend a considerable amount of time standing, working on the floor of the museum store.
- May spend time sitting, using the computer.
- May climb short ladders and lift up to 30 lbs periodically.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4/28/2023.