Pasadena Playhouse, California’s state theater, seeks a dynamic, highly skilled, creative Teaching Artist (TA) to direct an after school musical (from the MTI Kids catalog) for 20-25 students in grades 2-6 during spring 2024. This program is part of the launch of a full slate of new Playhouse programs for youth and families.
Reporting to the Education Manager, the Teaching Artist will direct two groups of students in an MTI Kids musical, culminating in a 45 minute performance for families in May.
The groups will meet once a week after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-5pm for 16 weeks. TA will have one teaching assistant with them for all classes as well as technical support for all production aspects of the show.
We believe that representation matters both on the stage and behind the scenes, and seek employees who feel the same. We also know that creative people often come with non-traditional resumes and experience; if you believe you’d be a great fit here, please don’t count yourself out—we want to hear from you! Read more below on how to apply.
Areas of Accountability:
- Lead a 90 minute rehearsal twice a week for 16 weeks (Jan 30 – May 23, 2024).
- Attend approximately 4 planning/production meetings.
- Cast the show.
- Adequately prepare for each production meeting/rehearsal.
- Prepare students for the final performance.
- Occasionally converse with parents in person, on the phone and/or by email for sensitive issues related to behavior, casting, and other concerns about their children.
- Play a critical role in building a world-class education program to inspire the next generation of theatre-lovers.
- Demonstrate skills and professional experience in musical theatre education, including: choreography, directing,performance, and/or music direction
- Hold a BA, BS, or BFA in Theatre, Education, Educational Theatre,
- Applied Theatre or related field, or have equivalent experience
- Have experience working as a Teaching Artist or classroom drama teacher
- Have experience working with diverse populations and ages
- Have experience directing a musical with children
- Demonstrate strong classroom management skills
- Have excellent collaborative skills and thrive in a group work setting
- Possess strong time-management skills; be punctual and reliable
- Outstanding work ethic and a willingness to adapt and change.
- A commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA), anti-racism, and ongoing IDEA education.
This position is in-person in Pasadena on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Jan 30 – May 23, 2024. There will be prep work and training required in December 2023 and January 2024. Contact hours with students are 3:30-5pm on Tuesday and Thursdays, with no class on April 2 or 4 during PUSD spring break. There will be additional hours needed for planning and meetings.
No major sources of discomfort, standard classroom and theater environment.The employee may be occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
$65/hr for contact hours with students (approx 3 hrs per week). $32.50/hr for planning, meeting and training.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Arie Levine, Education Manager (email@example.com) by October 28, 2023.
After applications are reviewed, final candidates will be invited to in-person auditions in mid-November. No phone calls, please.
We work to maintain a positive environment for our employees, where people can learn, grow and thrive with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative, transparent workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Pasadena Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer.