Los Angeles, CA
Tutoring Programs Associate
Based out of 826LA in Mar Vista
Vision: 826LA envisions a Los Angeles where every child has access to quality writing education and is empowered to express themselves creatively through writing. We envision a Los Angeles where every teacher is supported in their writing-based educational objectives.
Mission: 826LA is dedicated to unlocking and cultivating the creative power of writing for students ages 6 to 18, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write.
ABOUT THE POSITION
826LA seeks a non-profit professional passionate about education access and writing to join our Programs team. The Tutoring Programs Associate oversees our Mar Vista-based tutoring and writing programs on Tuesdays and Thursdays, first leading our after-school program for elementary students – Write On! After School (WO!AS) – and then our evening program for middle and high school students – Tuesday/Thursday Night Tutoring (TNT). This role is responsible for developing, implementing, and refining after-school writing and tutoring curriculum focused on reading, writing, and homework support for students in both age groups.
During the summer, the Tutoring Programs Associate supports 826LA’s summer programming based out of our Mar Vista location, including but not limited to our writing-focused summer camp for elementary-grade students – Write On! Summer Camp.
This position is part time at 24 hours a week, non-exempt, Monday through Friday, with the flexibility to work occasionally on weekends. Position includes working evenings. See sample schedule below:
Tuesday: 12:30-9:00 PM
Thursday: 12:30-9:00 PM
Friday: 10 AM-6:30 PM
Fluency in Spanish, both verbally and written, is a requirement of this position.
Hourly rate is $19.23 – 21.63 an hour and is commensurate with experience.
- Acts as a Spanish-speaking family liaison for the Mar Vista site
- Reports directly to the Programs & Operations Manager in Mar Vista; works closely with the Programs & Operations Manager in Echo Park.
- Coordinates daily operations of our after-school and evening writing programs, including outreach and student recruitment, application and registration processes, and onboarding and offboarding program participants.
- Facilitates communication amongst the student, their teacher, and their parents or guardians in order to support the creation of educational goals for each program participant
- Supports the Programs in Mar Vista plan to run Write On! Summer Camp
- Supports volunteer participation in after-school and evening writing programs, including working with the Community Engagement Team to ensure a strong student-to-volunteer ratio, training and developing volunteers to support students in the areas of reading, writing, and homework, and leading and managing a team of volunteers during sessions
- Facilitates mutually beneficial interactions between students of various ability levels and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels
- In conjunction with the Community Engagement Team, trains and supervises after-school and evening writing programs interns
- Supports the creation and refinement of curriculum for after-school and evening writing programs as needed
- Supports ensuring the high quality of the writing, editing, and production of after-school and evening writing programs publications and supports book release events
- Supports maintaining the calendar, documentation, and data systems for after-school and evening writing program and is responsible for timeliness, accuracy, and organization of all program data, including applications, attendance, and evaluations
- Supports the coordination of additional opportunities for students through 826LA’s other programs as well as through 826LA’s external partnerships
- Provides support for other programs, operations, communications, and events as needed
- Along with other Mar Vista staff, maintains tidiness and safety of the Mar Vista writing lab and office
PROFILE OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Fluency in Spanish, both verbally and written (required)
- Experience designing and implementing after-school program curriculum focused on reading, writing, and/or homework support
- A passion for writing and publication, education, and especially 826LA’s mission
- Strong communication skills, including written and interpersonal, and comfort with public speaking
- Experience working with groups of students ages 8-18 and of various ability levels required
- Experience working with and leading volunteers with various levels of experience and from different backgrounds
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multitask, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment required
- Familiarity with Google Suite
- A commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of 826LA programming
- A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programming team members
Regular (not temporary) employees are eligible for holiday pay as described below:
New Year’s Day: January 1
Martin Luther King Day: 3rd Monday in January
President’s Day: 3rd Monday in February
Memorial Day: Last Monday in May
Juneteenth: June 19th
Independence Day: July 4
Labor Day: 1st Monday in September
Indigenous Peoples’ Day: 2nd Monday in October
Veteran’s Day: 2nd Monday in November
Thanksgiving Day: 4th Thursday in November
Day after Thanksgiving: 4th Friday in November
Christmas Eve: December 24
Christmas Day: December 25
New Year’s Eve Day: December 31
Additionally, 826LA is closed between December 25th and January 1st. Regular employees receive full pay during the winter closure.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to be considered for the Evening Tutoring Coordinator position, you must thoroughly complete this online application, and send the following to jobs@826LA.org by November 30, 2023:
- A compelling cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience/transferable skills and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA in this capacity
- A detailed resume
- Three professional references
Please include your name and “Evening Tutoring Coordinator” in the subject line. Please note that only complete applications – with cover letter, resume, and references sent to jobs@826LA.org – will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
826LA requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, unless exempted for medical purposes or a seriously held religious belief.
826LA prioritizes and incorporates Equity, Diversity, Accessibility, and Inclusion Diversity in all facets of the organization. 826LA’s staff reflects the diverse student population the organization serves in terms of race and ethnicity. 826LA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and highly encourages persons of color, LGBTQIA persons, gender non-conforming persons, persons with disabilities and any other protected groups per local, state, and federal law to apply for this position.
At 826LA, we are committed to considering a broad range of applicants, including and especially those with diverse work experience. If you believe that you would excel in this role, whether you are new to educational nonprofits, returning to work after a gap in employment, looking for a career change, or taking the next step in your career path, we encourage you to apply. Your cover letter is the perfect place to tell us about your interest in our work and what you will bring to this role.