Los Angeles, CA
Who Are We?
Young Storytellers sparks creative self-discovery through storytelling. Our programs highlight young people as the center of their own narratives, emphasize that their stories matter, and celebrate their unique voices as the ones telling them. Young Storytellers works towards a future where young people experience the impact that their thoughts, feelings, and words can have on the world in which they live.
Young Storytellers works with students in elementary, middle, and high school. In elementary school, students write scripts that are completely their own; in middle school, students write monologues about challenges they face; and in high school, students write Public Service Announcements that address important issues in their self-identified communities. Students in each program work with volunteer mentors, and every student gets to see their work performed by professional actors. Young Storytellers programs are designed around Common Core standards, integrate Social and Emotional Learning activities, and include components of Teaching Tolerance’s Social Justice Standards.
What Is This Position?
The Volunteer Outreach & Partnerships Strategist is an integral member of the Volunteer Team. They will work closely with the Program Director: Volunteers, Middle & High School Stories to ensure that all parts of Young Storytellers’ programs run smoothly and equitably.
This highly collaborative role oversees corporate partner relationship management, develops new partnerships with organizations and builds pipelines of volunteers, actors and mentors.
The Volunteer Outreach & Partnerships Strategist directly supports recruitment and works in collaboration with the Volunteer Support Specialist to ensure each school has met their recruitment goal. As a member of a close knit team, they are ultimately passionate about Young Storytellers’ values and successfully carrying out our mission of raising student voices.
Cool, But Let’s Get Specific. What’s Involved in This Role?
- Strategizes and develops creative outreach throughout the Los Angeles community to build pipelines of volunteer mentors and actors in partnership with Volunteer Team members
- Creates and implements volunteer outreach strategy with the goal of building a diverse pool of volunteers that are values-aligned and representative of Young Storytellers students, and partners with other staff members and across teams as helpful
- Partners with Volunteer Support Specialist to strategize and implement creative recruitment techniques to bolster volunteer numbers
- Cultivates sustainable relationships with community-based, and other organizations that provide volunteers for Young Storytellers programs
- Conduct site visits for schools where corporate partners volunteer
- Desire to attend festivals/ events as needed to support pipeline growth
- Manages existing volunteer corporate partner relationships
- Ensures that Young Storytellers direct service programs that are supported by partners are set up for success each semester by working with Volunteer Team members to coordinate trainings and placements
- Implements Young Storytellers’ Diversity, Equity, Insucion, and Belonging (DEIB) and antiracism practices, and the organizational values of exploration, belonging, play, and connection, in all parts of volunteer outreach, onboarding, retention, and cultivation
Am I A Good Fit for This Position?
- 5 – 7 years of non-profit, museum or community organization experience;
- Outgoing and eager to meet new volunteers
- The ability to work collaboratively within and across teams as well as autonomously
- Experience coordinating or managing volunteers, especially in regards to outreach, onboarding, and retention
- Proficient in project management
- Excellent organization skills
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- A desire for the creation of an equitable volunteer program that centers students, their voices, and their experiences.
- Experience creating and implementing volunteer outreach strategy
- Facilitation skills and comfort speaking in front of diverse groups of people
- Spanish language skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to efficiently navigate and leverage digital platforms for communication, collaboration, and data management
- Experience with Google Suite, DocuSign, Asana, Slack
- Experience with a database and tracking important details through spreadsheets.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, car insurance, and access to a personal vehicle
- Ability to travel within the designated Los Angeles territory using own transportation
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as required by the demands of the position
What is My Compensation for This Position?
The Volunteer Outreach & Partnerships Strategist is a full time exempt salaried position with a salary range of $67,500 – $72,500, depending on experience. Total compensation includes health insurance, retirement savings program, and generous paid time off and holiday break schedule. The Young Storytellers team operates on a hybrid work schedule with two days at our DTLA office and three days remote each week.
Ok, I’m In. How Do I Apply?
Anticipated start date is February 1, 2024, and applications will be accepted until the position is full. To apply, please visit here to fill out an application and select the “Volunteer Outreach & Partnerships Strategist” role to apply by January 31st, 2024.
Be prepared to upload the following in PDF format:
Resume / CV;
A brief statement or cover letter that includes why you are interested in working with Young Storytellers and this position in particular.
Anything Else I Should Know?
Young Storytellers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Belonging is a core value of the Young Storytellers culture, and our daily practices around equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-bias, anti discrimination, and antiracism are central to that value. Young Storytellers firmly believes that Black Lives Matter. We encourage women and gender diverse people, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, veterans, immigrants, and anyone with a disability to apply for this and all our positions. Young Storytellers has designed our interview, onboarding, and ongoing cultural practices to be a welcoming space for everyone. You can read more about our worldview on our website.
For any questions or accommodations while applying due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 323.962.4500.